Dermatology Expert Forum
Crater-like marking on penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Crater-like marking on penis

I recently noticed a crater-like marking on the underside of my penis approximately an inch away from the head of my penis.  When I'm soft you can barely see it but if you stretch the skin, you can see it a lot better.  It doesn't have a "warty" appearance and in fact it looks very smooth.  If I stretch the skin out in that area and run my finger over it, it actually dips down like a crater and has a very slightly raised border.  I read on websites that warts are bumps that appear "on" the skin with a cauliflower roughness to it, but this is a smooth crater-like marking.  I've seen pictures of warts and other STD's and none of them even resemble the mark on my penis.  There is no discharge or anything like that coming from it and it doesn't itch or become irritated or red or anything.  It just looks like skin.  It is slightly darker than the surrounding skin (almost a dark purple color when my penis is soft) and is only 3 millimeters in diameter when my penis is soft.  When my penis is erect, it appears to be a little bit bigger and the color resembles the surrounding skin.  I could have had this my whole life and not realized it but recently I was searching the area under a light and noticed it.  I've recently applied vinegar to the area and used a magnifying glass to view it and it did not turn white. I also haven't had sex in close to 8 months, but that sex was unprotected and was for 10 seconds and the girl I had sex with said she had been tested for everything since she just had a baby.  Since then, I've been tested for HIV, syphilis, and all other STD's that my clinic could test me for (they said they couldn't test for some things like warts unless I shown symptoms) and all test came back negative.  I am really scared that it could be a wart and I haven't been able to eat or sleep much since I noticed it a few days ago.  I'm going to make an appointment with my family doctor to get his opinion, but I would really like to know what your opinions are as to what this could be.  Please help me for I'm making myself sick over this!  Thank you very much.
I certainly don't think it's a wart, or any other kind of STD.  As you say yourself, warts protrude, while this is indented.  You are correct to set up an appointment with your family doctor.  I think you should be prepared for him to tell you to ignore it.  It's probably just some anatomical variant which may well have been there for a long time, unnoticed.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff