Creepy Crawly, Pin-Pricky Skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Creepy Crawly, Pin-Pricky Skin

It seems many people experience a skin sensation that bugs are crawling on (feels like lice) and biting them (feels like pin-pricks), but few have obtained actual diagnosis.  Someone I care for very much has been experiencing this for YEARS though doctors never diagnosed him (they never did do a skin scraping, just a visual inspection).  He does not do drugs, drink and is very mentally balanced.  This absolutely tortures him.  

Questions: Does anyone know what this could be?  Could it be parasitic?  Neurolgic?  Some doctors concluded for similar cases that I have read online that it is nothing but mental; however, the sensations are REAL, and there must be something that can be done... I can only imagine how hard to have a normal life when it feels like bugs are biting and crawling on your whole body 24/7.  Please help!
It could be candida (yeast) in the intestines. A stool test will find it

If that's the case, I recommend the candida diet, easily obtainable online
Hi, I know what you are talking about and this is all the info on it I can find on the net. My biting sensations are in my feet (mostly toes) and hands, no where else on my body, it happens randomly and some are worse than others... but it feels like a sharp biting sensation that comes from under the skin, it's only stings for a short time, then goes... I can't control when they happen. It is managable but just not sure what it is caused from... yeast infection, maybe that could be it, maybe I might try the candida diet - thanks. I haven't told my Dr about it as yet, but was thinking that I might.
I went to the allergist because I had this relentless creepy-crawley, tingly type of itching all over my arms and legs. She said that it wasn't caused externally but systemically. That means it was some internal dysfunction resulting in the skin sensation, usually something like diabetes or thyroid or some other "disease." She tested me and recommend I lower my thyroid medication. I did and the sensation that was driving me insane went away for several months. However, I recently started some new prescriptions for other conditions, and it is back, only so far, it's just on the lower part of my arms. It is still torturous though. I stopped taking 2 of the medications I started a few days ago and it does seem a little better although it's not gone. You should tell your friend to get tested for underlying medical conditions and evaluate his medications. I wish him well as I know this is a miserable condition.
I have been experiencing this same type of skin irritation for three months now.  I have seen a dermatologist and two doctors. Done three sets of blood test, but still no answer.  The crawley sensation started on my back and I thought that I was being bitten by ants.  This seem to make sense b/c it was summer and we did have lots of tiny blonde colored ants in the house, but I had my husband spray everywhere including the mattress - he never complained of any skin irritation.  No the problem has escalated and the irritation is constant.  the only time I feel a little relief is when I'm waring satin or silk clothing, so I now sleep a satin nighty and robe
I have been experiencing this same biting sensation since about 2005. I have difficulty sleeping at night. This condition occurs at random times, mostly night. I tried showering with anti-bacterial soap,rubbing my body with rubbing alcohol and lastly hot cayene pepper. The capsason ingredient of the pepper gives some relief so I can sleep but,it burns before cooling down, but I get to sleep. Sometimes it feels like Gnats or fruit flies following me where ever I go, even if I travel hundreds of miles from home. No-one else in my home is affected only me. I always have to keep rubbing alcohol where ever I go to splash on for a temporary relief.
I need a permanent relief for this condition.  Posted:
Wednesday June 8th 2011.
Put baby oil on the area you feel the sharp biting sensation and you will notice a black dot appear. They are definitely parasites or mites. You should use eucalyptus oil in the bath