Cryotherapy & warts - chemical burn

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Cryotherapy & warts - chemical burn

I have a wart on my face and the doctor applied liquid nitrogen. After a few hours, the area around the wart started to get dark. It became a large outer ring – its colour is purple/brown and the wart is right in the middle. It looks like a birth mark. (It's not swollen and there isn't a blister; it doesn't even hurt). I went back to the doctor and he said it's a chemical burn, and the air (or the pressure he used) might have been too strong. I am really concerned now that this mark won't disappear, or that the skin will take a long time to go back to its normal colour. The wart is still there, and I am supposed to go back for another nitrogen application. However I am scared that the cryotherapy will make this mark even worse.
Is this mark normal at all? It's been on my face for 5 days now, and it's still very dark.
Thank you
Regards
Marie

Avatar_dr_f_tn
I can advise about the exact cause and treatment of your condition only after a clinical examination. After cryotherapy the treated area may weep and then form a scab. Apply antiseptic cream and if a blister forms the roof should be removed after consulting a healthcare professional. A smear of antiseptic cream like Savlon may be applied and it may take almost 10 days to 3 weeks for skin healing. The skin will appear pink after healing and sometimes a permanent visible scar may be left. Do discuss your concerns with your treating dermatologist. Keep me posted.
Best wishes and regards!