Cuticle discoloration

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Cuticle discoloration

i broke my fingernail about 2 weeks ago down underneath the skin in the middle underneath the nail, and it has finally grown back above the skin under the nail. but now where my cuticle is only one one side of the finger has turned into like a blood blister looking thing. its reddish/purplish and really small, probably smaller than the backside of a bic pen. i popped it thinking it was a blister but nothing came out it just looked like red flesh underneath with no puss or anything. it doesnt hurt, its a little sensitive if you poke kind of hard and prod at it but other than that its almost no pain at all. its starting to feel kind of hard like a callous now and it hasnt gotten any bigger. i thought maybe an ingrown nail but i dont see any nail part of the nail digging into the skin, it just looks normal again with the exception of the blister looking thing now. if anyone knows what this could be i would appreciate it because i need to avoid doctors unless its life threatening.
It is due to formation of subungual hematoma. A subungual hematoma is caused by collection of blood (hematoma) underneath a toenail or fingernail. Keep the hand elevated and apply cold compresses by wrapping ice cubes in a towel. Please ensure not to apply ice directly without any cloth. Also take some anti inflammatory medicine like Ibuprofen or Diclofenac if you have taken them prior to this injury and have not shown any allergic reaction to them.

Also consult a doctor because any hematoma which is covering more than 25 % of the area has to be evaluated by a doctor. If there is any nail removal then soak it with an antiseptic and apply some antibiotic cream like Neosporin or Bactroban. Surgical technique for draining the hematoma like cautery, needle drilling or removing the entire nail to release the blood may be required.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

i figured it out. it was a wart on the side of my finger. i dont know how it got there but i think it was just a cooincidence because i apply'd some compound w to the side in the afftected area and it was gone in less than a week but thanks for the response
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers