Dermatology Expert Forum
Cutting my cheek open...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Cutting my cheek open...

Dear Dr. Rockoff,

I have a query about a cyst which is present in my cheek. I have done a lot of research on cysts on the web, had one removed from my scalp and visited the doc about my "latest" one. The doc said it was nothing to worry about as it is not connected to any salyva glands and would just stay there, or, i could have it cut out. This was two years ago with the cyst being the size of a small pea which was not visable at the time. However, over time it has very slowly grown and is now visable, like a spot that hasnt formed on the skin, but underneath. It is approx the diameter of a fingertip, about 0.5mm, with similar thickness....it is fairly round with a flatish frontal edge under the skin of my left cheek.
I know that i can have this removed by cutting into my cheek on the outside, but for what its worth, I hate the thought at having a 1 inch scar on my cheek for the rest of my life for something so insignificant, so, I was wondering if the thing can be cut out from inside my cheek/mouth? There is no head to it or anything but the research I have found is that you could have a syringe pierce into it and try to remove the fluid inside - this wouldnt be a cure as it would grow again but at least its a fix nonetheless. I also dont want to ignore it as it is already visable and will only become bigger. From the inside of my cheek it does appear to be close to the inner side so is it possible to have it cut out from the inside and is it a complicated process?

Many many thanks in responding and keep up the great work,

Matt.
Most of the time I discourage people from having facial cysts cut out, because the cosmetic results are worse than the cyst.  As to whether in your case the surgery could be done from within, it would be best if you asked a plastic surgeon or perhaps an oral surgeon to take a look to see if it can be done that way.  Having it repeatedly drained from the outside doesn't seem like a good choice, since repeated needlings may also leave a mark, and respite is likely to be short.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff