Cyst? Boil? ..Staph??!!!!!
I have what I consider a cyst on my left cheek that has gotten infected.  this cyst has been on my face for 3 years.  and never came to a head.  Recently I had my make up done at my local makeup counter.  The next day this cyst began to hurt--stinging pain.  The following day I woke up with a orange sized painful knot on my face. I went to the Dermatologist and she said it looks infected, it COULD POSSIBLY BE STAPH, but she was unsure.  She did not take a culture.  It was not oozing, or itching.  Just big and painful.  She prescribed an antibiotic to me (bottle says SULFAMETH/TRIMETHOPRIM) and a topical cream to apply twice daily for 10 days.  First, because it was so infected.  I have a follow up appointment scheduled in 7 days.  I am on day 8 and it has gone down tremendously.  However, it is very noticable, red..looks like a horn coming out of my cheek.  Ouch.

Can you give me insight to this thing.  Is it a cyst?  A boil?  What type of infection/bacteria is living in my face???  Could I possibly have Staph of the Face?!?!?!?!  help

From the description of your symptoms,it can be a boil,an infected cyst or a cutaneous horn.

A cutaneous horn a conical projection above the surface of the skin that resembles a miniature horn. Cutaneous horns usually are asymptomatic.But sometimes they can become inflamed and cause pain.

A cyst can be infected with any infective agent even bacteria like staph.Without examination and lab investigations like skin biopsy and examination of the cystic fluid under the microscope,nothing can be said with confirmation.

In my opinion,you should follow up with your dermatologist and discuss about these three possibilities with him.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.