Cyst drainage left open hole in skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Cyst drainage left open hole in skin

I have a small cyst on my face that was drained a number of years ago but never went away. The incision that was made  has never fully closed and there is a tiny hole where the needle was inserted. I have never been back to the doctor but I have noticed a white substance come out several times over the past 5+ years it has been since the procedure was done. I have never had an infection, it is not painful nor does it bother me but I am curious whether anything can be done to close the hole? An opening like that seems like an invitation for problems although I have yet to experience any, what can be done?
The symptoms are suggestive of a sebaceous cyst which is recurrent. Generally no treatment is required but they become painful then it means they are infected or if they are unsightly ,Then surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers