Cyst in mouth

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Cyst in mouth

Thank you for all of your help in advance!  I have had a cyst on the inside of my cheek for the past 2 months.  It has about the size of a pencil eraser in diameter is soft, skin colored, and flat.  Is there a chance of this being an STD or a normal growth?  Thank you!
Without examination,it is difficult to confirm a diagnosis,but from your description it looks like a mucocele.It is a rubbery, bubblelike painles swelling. It is usually inside the lower lip,under the tongue or the inside of mouth and caused mainly by biting the lips or trauma during eating of food.

Usually it goes away on its own.But if it does not,then corticosteroid injections and surgical removal by scalpel or laser are done by a dermatologist.It then has to be differentiated from other mucocutaneous lesions also.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.

Hi Kindd,
Thank you for the response.  I went to the dentist and he said that it was not a cyst as a cyst would change in size, some days larger than other.  Also, he thought that a cyst would be darker in color and this is just flesh colored and matches up with the rest of my mouth.  

I asked him if I should be worried and he didnt think so as it is not painful, open sore, or discolored.   He did however, recommend that I go to a doctor and have it removed.  It has been there nearly 3 months, so might not be a bad idea.  

I would appreciate any other thoughts you might have.  Thank you!
If cysts have been ruled out,then I would suggest a biopsy of the flesh colored bump to rule out warts and benign growths of the mouth.I would suggest an oral surgeon’s or dermatologist’s opinion.

Hope it helps.Take care and regards.