Dermatology Expert Forum
Cyst on nose.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Cyst on nose.
There's been a cyst on the end of my nose for about 7 to 8 months now. I've tried many things to remove it, the doctors prescribed me erythromycin for a few months which didn't do anything and then it was flucloxacillin for a month and there was completely no change. It's a round red spot, about 5mm in diameter. From what I can remember, it just appeared on the end of the nose (almost in the center, at the tip). It doesn't hurt when touched, it feels soft. About 2 to 3 months ago, the only big activity with it is that it popped I think and it started to bleed slightly, which made it smaller (well flatter), but now it seems like it's back to normal and there's been no change for a long time. I've seen a dermatologist about 5 months ago and he said it's just a cyst and prescribed the erythromycin. I didn't go back since it didn't work. I've also tried the Witch Doctor cream for a few weeks and no change there either and also normal facewash like Clearasil. I've not had any bad acne or anything, skin is fine, maybe a bit of acne on the forehead, but nothing bad. This post stands out as it's red all the time and at the end of the nose. When I get a bit hot, I tend to sweat a lot, mostly on the nose, if that helps.

I'm wondering what is it exactly? And will it ever go away?

Any help is appreciated. If you need any other info, please do ask.
It sounds as though you have an inflamed follicle, rather than a true cyst.  The more you mess with a cyst by putting thins on it, the longer it lasts.  Antibiotics don't end up doing much for these things, and since they didn't in your case, I wouldn't use them anymore.

My advice is to leave the cyst alone for sveral weeks.  Use coverup if you want, but otherwise do as little as possible.  The redness and bumpiness should flatten out gradually, but you have to be patient.  In the end, the spot will almsot certainly go away altogether.

Please ask your doctor to have another look, if you need more reassurance on this score.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
I forgot the age... I'm 19 now, but only 2 months ago.
Oh... and also a male.
Thanks for the reply, I think I do agree on what you are saying and I'll give it a few weeks of doing nothing on it, no cream and no anti-biotics.

But I find that it's quite oily all the time, is this something I should deal with or just leave?
Leave . . .

Dr. R
A related discussion, Problem with nose was started.
A related discussion, similar problem was started.