Cyst?... or something else?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Cyst?... or something else?

About 6 months ago (that's my best guess) I was taking a shower and noticed a very small bump in my thigh, underneath the skin. Instead of leaving it alone I decided to pinch and squeeze it trying to figure out what it is. Shortly after I noticed that the bump was growing slightly, and once again stupidly, I squeezed and poked it a bunch of times trying to figure out if it was just a pimple, an ingrown hair, or something else altogether. Well, I assume that as a result of all the poking and squeezing the bump turned kind of a slightly tan color, but not significantly darker than my skin tone (I'm very fair). Now it's about the size of a small popcorn kernel and it's stayed that way for a long time, probably since I haven't squeezed or poked it once I realized that was too deep under the skin to be a pimple or an ingrown hair (but it is not attached to the muscle or anything).
What could it possibly be? Is it a cyst of some sort? If so, is there a way of removing it (medically). I assume that in order to remove it I would have to go to a dermatologist and get it drained or surgically removed, or whatever. The thing is that even though it is small, it bothers me since it is a different color than my skin and I would love nothing more than have it removed... But based on the small amount of information that I read on the internet I probably wouldn't "need" to have it removed since it's not very large or noticable. The point is that it bothers me and I don't care how small or unnoticable it is, I definitely want it gone.

Assuming that it is a cyst, how would it be removed since it is so small? Also, is it possible that my poking and squeezing made it bigger or is that just a coincidence? I feel bad now that I picked it since it may have stayed small and completely unnoticable if I didn't touch it. Oh well, too late.