Dermatology Expert Forum
Cysts on Upper Lip - hard to remove???
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cysts on Upper Lip - hard to remove???

When I was a child, I had twisted capalaries in my upper lip which produced a benign tumor.  At the age of 3 1/2 I underwent surgery/plastic surgery to "untangle the capalaries" and "fix the lip astetically"... but it left a scar.  Fast forward to a few years ago.  I was helping a friend that had a little too much to drink and they tripped and knicked me in my lip very close to my scar.  I had a cysts to develop on the upper left hand side and right at the tip where the lip dips upwards towards the nose in the middle.  I went to a determatologist where he fixed up a shot and injected it.  The cysts went down, but never went a way.  Now about a year and a half later, it seems like it's coming back... "growing".  Appears as a small reddish bump.  I'm very afraid because this doctor mentioned that the only thing to take care of it would be surgery from a plastic surgeon. He also said that it is in a very difficult area due to all of the nerve endings.  It is very close to the surface of the skin, so I don't see why it couldn't be incised and removed.  It is actually very small, but I'm already very sensitive about my lip due to having grown up with a scar from my childhood surgery.  The cysts is hard and the size of a very small nail head right now.  Last time it grew it filled out my scar and my lip tingled.  Would surgery really be that complicated or are we talking about outpatient type services? Your thoughts?