DRY CRACKED SKIN ON EYELIDS

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

DRY CRACKED SKIN ON EYELIDS

I have had dry, swollen, cracked, peeling skin on my eyelids which has become progressively worse over 7 years.  Have been prescribed cortisone but only is an overnight cure.  Is this exceme?  or psoriasis?  or allergies?  How can I get over this???  HELP!!!
Tags: eyelid
I have the same problem!
Dry, cracked skin that I have to peel off of my upper eyelids.

It comes in waves. It might be bad for a week and go away for a month, or vice versa. It seems to be worse when the weather is hot or dry, but sometimes that makes no difference. And sometimes it cracks so badly it bleeds, like chapped lips.

I went to my doctor and he said that I had a "skin condition." I'd never wanted to beat someone so badly. That's like diagnosing somebody in the ER as "sick" or having some sort of "wound." He gave me fluorometholone ophthalmic ointment. It sort of worked for a little while, but eventually became no more effective than neosporin. Both seem to only temporarily moisturize the area. Now I just use vasoline. It doesn't do anything to cure it, but at least I can walk around for a few hours without looking like a leper.

The most frustrating part is that nobody (including my doctor) knows what this is. I've searched all over for eyelid disorders and nothing even mentions dry, cracking, peeling skin. There's gotta be a dermatologist out there who has seen this and knows what to do. Please help.
  I have the same problem with my eyelids.  Here is the condition, it only happens when I am in a certain area and sweat a lot.  I only get it when I go over to my grandmother's house and where I train.  I am allergic to something there.  When I left for a while, it was gone and didn't come back until I went back to her house.  So try getting out of that particualr area.  High amounts of dust, feather pillows, or even environmental.  I left for Iraq, where I sweated a ton, however it never bothered me getting sweat in eyes unless I am at my grandmother's house.  Vacuum a ton and try keeping ice packs on it when it is swollen.  Use a different detergent on your clothes and even change your cologne.  You are allergic to something.  I still don't know what it is for me, but when I eliminated everything by moving..... it cleared up for over a year without a breakout.  Now that I am back home at her house, I have had it for 3 months straight.  I am looking for a house to get my own "CLEAN" space.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Eczema is a  persistent skin conditions  that presents with swelling, dryness and recurring skin rashes which  may itch  or bleed. There is no known cure for eczema, thus treatments aim to control the symptoms: reduce inflammation and relieve itching.  However, it is difficult to diagnose without direct examination of your eyelid.  It will also help if you have this checked by an eye specialist or opthalmologist for further evaluation.

Take care and keep us posted.

My son has the same problem and he has had it for years and we been to lots of doctors and know one can tell me how to help him hes only in 6th grade and everyone always asks him whats wrong with his eyes there all red and peel where his eyelashes grow out from both top and bottom sometime so bad they start to bleed . I've try everything that you can put on the eyes and nothing helps .I feel really bad cause I know kids at school can be mean about things that are diffrent. Please Help . And tell me what I can do for him.
I've struggled with this also, the thing I've found that works is going on a sugar free diet,  I've come to believe it's a yeast infection.  Don't blow me off, I'm serious, my son had the same thing on his neck when he was a new born, it would peel and crack.  I've also found boosting my immunity with vitamin c and drinking lots of water and don't forget your b vitamins!
How many of you were Military? I have had the same problem, it started as dry skin on my hands at the web between my thumb and index fingers, then moved to behind my knees, and on my feet, my toenails did not grow well either. I also now have issues with candida or yeast and when it hit my eyelids, I looked like a Racoon, I used to think it was an allergy to polyester, but the more and more I learn I am finding that the POLIO Vaccine and others in the Military were failing tests and they tried to get rid of it by selling it to third world countries, when they were refused they had so much invested in the study that they had to send the vaccine through, now its causing all sorts of skin issues with soldiers and their children, this problem is actually now in our DNA and will determine how we form in the next mellenia of human evolution.
I joined today to reply to this thread about itchy, bleeding and cracking eyelids. I am non-military but like hundreds of millions out there I was vaccinated as a child. I had this problem a few years ago. I went to the University of Minnesota and had it biopsied. ( I wish there was a spell checker in here) Afterwards I was told it was some type of soriahsis(sp) and given a very powerful steriod ointment. It turned my eyelids into leather and I stopped after a month. I also had it spread from my eyelids to the back of my knees and to a sensitive area below the belt and as a guy it was not fun. I am not sure what made it stop but after reading a post from "hawkify" above I realize that I had a down comforter for years and finally threw it away shortly before the problem stopped. I always take allegra for general allergies which I think helps but back to my point. Two months ago I started using a new down blanket and pillow but I also started a new exercise routine and I started taking new vitamin pills. So I will try and keep an update as to the staus of my issue but I am focusing on the down and vitamins, hard for me to believe my body would be so reactive to its own sweat. I will get rid of the blanket and switch off the vitamins for a few weeks and post back.
about 4 months ago i started with a small red scabby look above my left eyelid as the time went by it is spreading on my eyelid, it looks red and flakey and yes it itches sometimes, it looks horrible and i want it to go away, it makes me sad because i love wearing makeup and i have stopped do to the look, i also thought it was the makeup doing that but i am not sure :( - i dont know what to do - and i just started this new job and cannot afford to take off for a dermatoligist until i complete my 3 months ,,urggggg i am so sad
From LadyA65
I will definitely try getting a new down comforter or even new bedsheets after you had mentioned this. I'm a typical college student whose last thing on my mind is bedsheets. But I am currently experiencing the same exact thing as you were. I've always kinda had dry skin all over my body. But recently I've realized my eyelids are getting progressively worse and I'm starting to scratch the back of my knees, which have by this point turned red, scabby, and scaly. I'm also experiencing some dryness down below the belt as well. Thanks for the help. I'm gonna try using your suggestions!
I also suffer from this and it only flares up once in a while but this last time it has been so bad just couldn't stand it anymore.  So I went to the store and bough some destin and started using it at night the redness was gone overnight but still a little dry and cracked but going to contine to use.  I have eczema on other parts of my body but that seem to itch more than what I have on my eyelids.  I did try my medication for my eczema on my eyelids and found no relief.  I would suggest giving the destin a try.
I just recently had this problem flare up. I was unsure of what it could be, maybe allergies or something else. I didn't bother with a dermitologist because the last thing I needed to hear was that I had "dermatitis". I find that to be a complete cop out. When I was looking up causes/treatments, it was interesting for me to read about someone struggling with candida because I have had a rash on my neck flare up in the past and the only thing that helped was going on a sugar free, low carb and low acidity diet (no vinegar and no artifical sweetners except something natural like stevia). It ***** and the diet is very restictive but the rash did clear up. I am going to go back on it to see if my eyelids start to clear up as well. Reading these responses has helped me tremendously.
This may be caused by a condition called blepharitis (check spelling) which is a condition with your eyelids that causes redness of eyes, eyelids, etc.  Dry skins is also a symptom.  I was diagnosed with this last year at my eye appointment and told to use baby shampoo.  At the time I did not have the dry skin, but recently this started to happen.  I will have my yearly eye exam and ask the doctor more.
I had the exact same condition a few years ago. It would crack, peel off, and then it would be ok for a month, then it would come back again. I went to see the dermatologist who diagnosed some dermatitis herpetiformis, basically gluten allergy. I ran all tests including a gastroscopy and they all turned negative. However in the mean time I moved out of my apartment, and it never happened again! Since there were clear signs of water infiltration in the old building (paint peeling off in some apartments, in mine even though I had painted it all new less than 2 years before, the paint started to bubble in some areas of the apartment), I think it could have been a reaction to mold or another bacteria in the apartment. I would suggest trying to put hepa filters at least in the bedroom to see if that helps.
hey i have this problem too and the only thing that has ever worked for me to get rid of it is a aveeno baby lotion, its called Aveeno baby daily moisture lotion. there's another aveeno baby lotion for ecsema (eczema) but it doesnt work, however the regular one i mentioned complety cleared it up for me
Try Burt's Bees Hand salve. It has almond oil, lavender, rosemary, olive oil, and bees wax. I have the same problem and the hand salve got rid of it in a couple days. Smells good too. No burning. Best thing i ever tried!

K.S.
HI

the Burts Bees Hand salve WORKED!!! I have been using it 2 times a day since Friday.. and it has improved by 95% and today is only Monday.. so I will keep using it!.. But I also have stoped using makeup or makeup brushes around my eye area...also refrained from touching the area, I didnt realize how much I would touch/scratch/rub my eye area when Im stressed...just something that I wanted to share.
I have had this same problem for several years. I saw someone post about Mario Badescu Control Cream and decided to give it a try.  Best $17 I ever spent.  It worked and within a couple days my eye lids had improved tremendously.  I had tried prescribed anti-biotic cream, Cortaid, Eilidel (do not use this product it is poison and very expensive).  The Control Cream worked and soothed my eyes from the very first use.    
I can't believe so many people have this.... I also have it on my eye lid and under my eye area. It makes me look like I have SO many wrinkles and I really don't. I thought maybe I got it from the eye make-up remover I was using. I used some A&D ointment and that helped a lot, took a lot of the redness and burning away. I do have Burt’s Bees hand slave so I'm going to try that right now and I'm going to go buy the Mario Badescu Control Cream that someone recommended. I want this to go away so I can put my make-up on each day. This is ridiculous. It's been almost 2 weeks with this situation and I went to the dr. they told me to take Benadryl and wanted to prescribe a steroid but I'm 8 mo pregnant. That could be the reason I have this ... who knows.
Unbelievable how many people have this problem. I have the same, and had it for 3 years now. However, it keeps on getting better and going worst from time to time. It bothers me a lot. I will need to try some of those recommended products, because so far I tried a lot and nothing worked.
No. You guys are all doing the same thing I was. If the weather is dry and you are washing your face in the shower, in the morning, at night, stop. Completely. Wait about a month or two when your skin has healed, and then only wash your face, DO NOT GO OVER YOUR EYELIDS WHEN YOUR EYES ARE CLOSED! I went to several dermatologists had skin samples taken, took all sorts of prescription meds, none worked. And then I realized it was my hygiene causing the problem and I stopped. Never had this problem since, not once. No vaseline, no medicines. Literally, stop washing your eyelids in dry weather. Easy solution that makes sense and works.
I have had dry n cracking eye lids fir a few mo the now. I ride a bicycle 4-6 times a week for fitness. I usually drink coffee right before but about 3 months ago started using caffine tabs instead. I started taking just a half but found better performance taking a whole about 2 weeks ago and my eye lids have gotten much worse in the same time. I am quiting all caffine intake to see if the prblem persists. I also started taking a half a multi vitimin at the same time as caffine tabs but if anything have taken less over the last few weeks. I will repost if this seems to remedy my issues. Just my thoughts about dry eye lids
try pure virgin organic coconut oil - i have had this condition for about the last 2 weeks and hate going to the doctor when i don't have to (and after reading all these posts, clearly the doctor isn't helping resolve this issue for most)

i have been applying it liberally right before bed and minimally in the morning (still wanted to be able to wear makeup and too much will be too oily to allow makeup to stick) and within 4 days it was almost gone!  it has been 6 days now and this morning i woke up with a very tiny dry patch barely even noticeable. i plan to keep applying it in small doses at night for a while to be sure it is fully healed.

hope this works for everyone else as well as it has for me!  :)

http://www.candida-cure-recipes.com/benefits-of-coconut-oil.html

I am sorry for the spelling in my last post as I am posting from a phone and I could not proof read b4 I posted. But my dry itchy cracking eye lids/face is not from caffine as I thought. I am allergic to soy. Seems strange I am 34 n never knew but have been exposed to high amounts recently I started drinking higher amounts of soy milk. Now even small intakes cause a reaction with in hours. I am becoming more sensative to soy the more I am exposed. Anyway just what I found out about myself hope it's helpful
I have had the same problem for the past 2 months. It started as just a little scab on my right eyelid, but started flaking and looking gross after only a couple days. After about a month it spread to below my eye and to the other eye as well. I'm a makeup artist and not being able to to wear makeup to work was horrible! I need to figure out a cure for this, it's so irritating!! I have to peel my eye before I can put makeup on. I've been using Clinique's All About Eyes as a mask, but it doesn't go away. Sometimes it cracks so much that it bleeds and I have to put neosporin on it.. I just want it to go away!
I have this same upper eyelid redness itchiness problem for more than 10 years now. It comes and goes. One thing I noticed is that the red swollen areas are exactly in the path of where I rub my eyes. So I conclude that rubbing makes this problem worse or starts it. I also think that skin dryness causes this problem. I have recently purchased this organic coconut oil from Nutiva ******* (15oz Coconut Oil - COC601  $11.99) and this stuff is fantastic at moisturizing skin ( and smell great, Coconut!) and you can eat it if you want too. I use it on my hands and my hand skin looks awesome! I used to have my hand skin badly damaged in the winter but no more. My hand skin go to perfect in about 2 days. For my eyelid redness, I have been applying it for a couple days and I noticed that the skin that was not damaged is now looking perfect, the areas that where only slightly irritated got better, but the areas badly irritated are not recovering as fast, and might get more irritated. So I will definitively use this organic coconut as maintenance for natural humidification of skin.
Just to clarify - vaccines to not modify the sequence of our genes (somatic cells or gametes), and the antibodies produced in response to those vaccines are not passed on to our progeny.  There is no evidence that vaccines alter the genetics of future generations.  
I have the same problem. One thing that I KNOW causes trouble is the combination of dry weather and certain laundry detergents.  My pillow case, as well as my sheets and pajamas, when washed in the wrong detergent, make me itch like crazy, and it's much much worse in the winter.  My eyelids get all dry, flaky, and terribly itchy at those times.  Vaseline makes my eyelids red, but at least a tiny bit of it keeps the flaking down so I don't look like a lizard that's shedding. I have tried applying a tiny single drop of pure 100% lanolin, too, on certain spots to control the flaking. That's helpful for me on really bad days. My dermatologist prescribed Betamethasone Sodium Phosphate in a mild form that is OK for use around the eyes; it seems to help a bit, but does not get rid of the problem.  If you are searching for possible causes of the problem, I'd suggest changing your laundry detergent to the mildest thing you can find to see if that doesn't help.  Also, do NOT use standard moisturizing lotions around your eyes.  I've made that mistake; the alcohol and other ingredients in the lotion only made things worse.
I have had this problem for well over a year now. I lived in Florida until March where it is humid and California where it is very dry. This has persistently gotten worse in Cali. Late last year when I had health ins. I went to a dermatologist that prescribed to me (2) different expensive creams that only made it worse. My Mom had the same problem and gave me "Desonide," which is a steroid, and as you know dangerous near the eyes. This didn't help either, or if it seemed it would, it would come right back, and it would later cause awful pain directly in my eyeball. So I'm not using that anymore, can't be good. Right now it is awful (looks like a cigarette burn on my eyelid). I have this mostly on the middle of my right eye and the side corner of my left eye. I have read so much about this and am so frustrated. I picked at the dry skin a few days ago, and then it just hurt for days. Stinging, raw, itchy eyelids and irritating the inside of my eyes constantly.  One comment from a reader above was to stop washing and going over eyes when washing your face. I think this has helped quite a bit. It has helped it to dry out, instead of being sore, raw and stinging. I have read advice here and elsewhere about the Mario Badescu control cream; which I am desperately awaiting for it's arrival in the mail since I could not find it around here. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow and I will report back. Good Luck everyone!
What a difference a day makes. Yesterday I was desperate, depressed, my confidence was down and I felt helpless with the repeated abuse of my red, irratated, gritty, cracked eye lids. At work yesterday I just wanted to go home as it is hard to look people in the eye when you know and feel as we who suffer with  this condition feel. It is desperate and it is trying at times. I have suffered with this condition for serveral years.  It does come and go but it never really goes away tototally and more time it is active than not. I have severe allergies. Dust mites is my worst allergy to the point my allergist has me carry an Epipen. I also have asthma. I can deal with just about anything and I have a strong spirit but when it comes to my eyes, feeling, and looking as they do I can become so desperate and depressed. The itching is unbearable at times. If you are reading this I am sure you feel my pain. When I found this thread I read every post. I saw the posts about people who tried Mario Badescu control cream. I have never heard of it before yesterday.  After several doctors appts for my eye issue, 2 drawers full of steriod creams, eye drops, you name it I have it! I decided that after so many people with this condition seemed to get good results with the Mario Control Cream, I decided to head right to the store and get it. I live in NY so it was available at Ulta. I purchased a 3 piece set that inculded the control cream a mask and a cleanser. I got home and told my husband say a prayer that this works for me. I used all three products. I put the control cream around my eyes. I was expecting the usual, burning, redness and irratation and gues what?  that did not happen! The control cream felt good!! My eyes started to feel better.  I went to sleep and overnight they healed even more. This morining I washed my face with the Mario cream soat and applied the control cream again and then again tonight I cleand and applied again, Could this be my miracle I have been waiting for? I will continue to use this product and I will continue to post my results. If you are suffering from this condition please give this cream a try. Today I have hope and hope is a good thing!!!  Good luck to everyone!
i've been having this problem with my eyelids for like 3 months now they get red and they peel i used to wear makeup but i stop because i thought that the makeup was the reason this was happen it stop for awhile but then it came back i put hot water on it and some eye cream it makes it stop peeling for a few hours when my friends ask me whats wrong with my eyes and i say its my allergies when they ask me i feel bad because i hate how my eyes look thats why i aviod looking people in the eye i need help how can i make this go away HELP ME :(
I am relieved i am not the only one suffering with his horrible condition. It is embarrassing to have and not be able to look people in the eyes. I have tried all the creams at the drug store, I even consulted the doctor i work closely with and she recommended Eucerin. Which i bought, but it seems to have made my eyelids worse. Yesterday morning I woke up with my eyelids super swollen and flakey. I ended being sent home from work because i couldn't keep my eyes open because of the itching and burning. I went to the clinic and was prescribed allergy meds, antibiotic eye drops and steriod cream. I tried getting in with my eye doctor, but he was out for the day. Reading previous posts, I will most definatley buy the Mario Badescu control cream. I hope its my saving grace.  I just want to be able to not avoid peoples gaze and wear my make up once again.
SOLUTION that worked for me. I came to this result after thinking about what THE 3RD doctor said about simply using moisturiser on my sore cracked eyelids and red sore patches on body that began around 2 years ago.....

I stopped using any bathroom and laundry products and with strong perfumes or colours,especially purple or blue. Try to find products that are as white as possible to avoid irritation. I decided to try products designed for babies....

SOLUTION for me was Johnsons baby soft wash. The best one is the white one, the easiest to find is the pink squeezy bottle version. It is the best as it contains moisturising lotion, developed for sensitive skin. Soap free & pH skin-neutral. Tested by dermatologists. I use it for my entire body and face. I even wash my hair with it. if you use shampoo in he shower for example, use the body wash afterwards as it will remoisturise body after the shampoo has run down your body. My cracked eyelid got better within 2 weeks and has stayed away for a few years so far. Johnsons baby moisturising cream in the white squeeze tube is all i use on rare occasions on my face and anywhere else that may need it. A small amount goes far. Both of these products are £3 or less each. Please try them as they work (the steroid creams etc i was prescribed did not). Please post and let me know how you all get on...
James Cawston.
Does your grandmother have a gas heat? It seems to create more dusk than a normal wood stove or oil. This is what I found in our new home. I never had this until I started cleaning mass amounts of dust in our home hidden in areas around the house. We change and clean the airducts every season change 4x per year. I am ready to move to AZ, I live in WA ST and it is getting worse. Nothing works, thank God I retired, I could not go to work like this, I feel sorry for those that have to work with red swollen eyes.
I came upon this discussion thread after doing a web search for "candida eyelids."  I've been having similar problems to what everyone has been writing -- dry, cracked, bleeding, peeling, and recently, sore eyes (moderate pain actually around the eye socket).  
My husband diagnosed this as related to candida (yeast) overgrowth in the body.  The eyelids can be an easy target because of the moisture on the eyelid, and the lack of circulation in the area.  Both he and I have suffered from candida related problems in other ways (skin rashes, athletes foot (guys), jock itch (guys), vaginal infections (women) in the past.  We eat a very clean diet because of this -- whole foods -- lean meats/fish, whole grains (brown rice only, organic non-flour bread, whole grain hot cereals, etc.), whole veggies, whole fruits, water, and practically nothing else.  If we diverge even a little bit, the yeast symptoms can flare up.
Sorry -- went off on a tangent a bit there.  The bottom line -- this rash on the eyelids is caused by a systemic infection of candida - yeast - overgrowth.  No AMA doctor will tell you this,nor do many understand it.  Only a holistic doctor will treat the cause, not just the symptoms.  
Taking Anti-biotics in an excessive manor can cause an overgrowth of yeast in the body.  If you're prescribed an anti-biotic, take a pro-biotic to replace the normal bacteria in your digestive system, otherwise, the yeast will have a field day and there will be much overgrowth.  
We recently started using organic extra virgin coconut oil -- and Nikkivee posted this as well.  
Coconut oil is naturally anti-fungal (anti-yeast), so it’s a perfect yeast-fighter. Eating coconut oil helps fight the yeast on the inside, and it can be used topically to relieve fungal/yeast symptoms on the outside as well. It's also anti-bacterial and anti-viral in nature, so eating it every day is an excellent boost for your immune system.
I applied this to my eyelids, and it has helped moisturize and heal them.  Be sure to wash your eyelids to get rid of the yeast by-products and toxins.  Dry them thoroughly.  Then apply the coconut sparingly to the eyelid.  The pain has been relieved by this also.  
If you're a contact lens wearer (as I am), I've found that I can't wear my contact lens because of this eye problem.  And, the solutions may be anti-bacterial (?) which may cause the yeast to thrive even more.
Hope this may help somebody out there.  I've been praying for this to go away, and if any of you believe in Christ, may he provide healing for all you too.
God Bless,
Janet
The problem:
Swollen eyes every morning when I wake up…..I don’t mean puffy I mean SWOLLEN. Some days they can be slightly better some days they can be AWEFUL. Swelling goes down as the day goes on sometimes the skin would be red, and begin to flak off, tiny lines started to form under my eyes from the repeated cycle of swelling. I was ageing (aging) over night!!
I tried everything-  ice, cucumbers, tea bags, coconut oil, putting honey IN my eyes, cutting salt out of my diet, cut sugar out of my diet, coconut oil, I went without makeup, tried steroid creams, oil pulling etc etc… nothing worked. I have suffered with this for almost a year……

The treatment:
Mario Badescu control cream. No joke, I’m not even into cosmetics but this stuff was a miracle for me. It was exactly what I had been praying for and it REALLY REALLY workes. For the first time in almost a year my eyes look normal!!! I look like myself again! I am so happy with the results that I just had to share with anyone and everyone who is suffering with this problem! Try it and pass on the good news, this stuff is phenomenal. It worked wonders for me!  After using it for one day my eyes began to look better and now ( a few short days later) they are 100%  back to normal, NO swelling!!  
I completely agree, this is a really embarrassing problem, and the only thing that ever worked for me is the Mario Badescu Control Cream.  The really weird part is that it DOES make it go away, BUT - if I stop using it for about 3 days, it comes right back.  So the control cream basically is keeping it at bay for awhile, as long as I use it at least once every 2 days.  I would LOVE more than anything to know the actual CAUSE, the real underlying problem... but for the time being - I will continue to use it so I don't look like a crazy, swollen-eyed, tired person every day.  If any of you are thinking about buying it but haven't because it is ridiculously expensive, know that it DOES last forever.  I bought a tiny little jar of it for about $30 about 6 months ago, and it barely looks like I've used any.  You just need a tiny bit. (Much cheaper than a $25 co-pay each to who-knows-how-many doctors I could go to to try to figure out what it is). I hope that if anyone figures out the underlying cause of this will write in to tell us all! :)
This is the same diagnosis which was given to me by my dermatologist...yeast! She told me to use a dandruff shampoo, applying it thickly to my scalp and covering with a shower cap for 10 to 15 minutes every day, or do this in the shower, for about a week. It really is helpful for occasional flareups.
Gosh, glad I'm not the only one. These posts are great and for tonight, I had Johnson's baby wash and lotion (grandbabies). I tried that. But after reading all these posts, I believe Mario Badescu Control Cream is the best all around cure, but I do also believe "yeast" is the problem. Back in January I got sick with what Dr. thought was a sinus infection. Ended up going thru 2 rounds of antibiotics. Not any better, so had a lung x-ray, which ended up with a diognosis of pneumonia. More antibiotics. I finally got to the point where I was caughing up white stringy flem (phlegm). Dr. FINALLY took a culture and came back "yeast". went had another lung x-ray and bottom line was I had a yeast infection down deep in my lungs. Had to treat that for 2 months and finally went away, but that was when the eyelid problem started. dry, cracking, peeling, bleeding. So, I am agreeing with all that posted it is a yeast problem. I just would love a cure that will last. I've tried this for tonight, but I will be purchasing the Mario. Thanks to all that posted
I also have had a dry swollen patch off and on the last couple months ( strangely always over the same eye). It swells up and (like one person wrote) creates a wrinkle effect and also starts to peel and sometimes gets to a bleeding point. I found that the ointment Aquaphor (you can find at WalMart) gives relief and healing, but still not sure of the cause or how to prevent. I can't identify and conditions that make one week different from the next.
In the winter time i get dry cracked eyelids, and its because my eyes water alot, but now its Summer time, and for some reason I have had cracked swollen itchy eye lids mostly in the corners towards the nose area. I have tryed A & D, Hydrocortisone cream, Blistex, moisturizers, Vaseline, I have had this for almost 4 weeks now, crazy.  I am ordering Mario Badescu control cream, and i baught burts bees lip bulm, to see if that works, and under my eyes it looks like i have water pockets under them, all awollen. Seems alot of people have this condition, and hardly no remadys. I am not allergic to anything, I havent tryed anything new, I dont have Eccema, If i can find any remedys i will let every one know.
***WORKS LIKE A CHARM!! Gat a dab of pure glycerine and mix it with Eucerin cream. Apply to your eyelid(s) or any (dry areas on your face for that matter) overnight and WAH-LA! Your skin will be moistured throught the day!! The dryness evntually goes down/away if you use it every night. BE CAREFULonly use a small droplet when mixing it with the cream. I use this all the time and it has even improved the look and feel of my skin!! Good luck!!!
After trying numerous remedies, both prescription and otherwise, the last thing prescribed by my dermatologist has been, by far, the most helpful:  Protopic (tacrolimus ointment) Ointment 0.1%.  It's safer on the eyes than some other prescriptions and works within a few days.  The condition will come back if you stop using the ointment for 3 or 4 days, but with a regular regimen it has done wonders to control what was becoming intolerable burning and dryness.
i was in the army for 4 year and right out of basic i thought i had athletes foot but ive had it for 4 years and did everything i could for it and it wont go away. 2 months ago i started to notice the web of my fingers start to itch and peel too and now my eyelids are peeling, red, and sometimes itch and its covered my whole eyelid and started to spread around my tear duct. idk what to do im gonna go to the doctor on monday and post what they think and if i did get it from a vaccine im gonna get real pissed.
I have read all the posts on this web site from people like me who have itchy, cracked and peeling eyelids.  I have had this condition for about four years.  Before I put my makeup on, I had to "peel" my eyelids.  Even with makeup on you can see that the skin texture undermeath the shadows was different along with being swollen. I have gone to the dermatologist and she diagnosed my condition as blepharitis and prescribed desonide .05% ointment.  This somewhat kept it at bay but my eyelid was always red and swollen and peeling would come and go.  I also had this condition inside my ears on the top just going into the ear canal.  Anyway, after reading all of your posts I became more and more interested in what people were saying about Mario Bedescu control cream.  I had an extra $30.00 that I could afford to buy the cream with and quickly ordered it from Nordstroms.  My cream arrived six days later of which I took the advice of other posts and cleaned my eyelids with Johnsons Baby Shampoo and applied the Mario Bedescu control cream.  Almost immediatly I felt a soothing, cooling effect.  The next morning I could clearly see that some of the swelling had gone down and redness was 50% gone.  Well now it is a week and a half later and my eyelids look completely normal like nothing was ever wrong with them.  My nightly care will be cleaning my eyelids with the baby shampoo and applying the cream.  If any of you out there have the dry, cracking, peeling and sometimes bleeding upper eyelids, please do not hesitate to buy this cream.  It works better than any of the prescriptions my dermatologist wrote for me.  I must say this jar will last years as you don't use very much of it.  A big Thank You to all of you who have posted your comments and led me in the right direction to control this annoying condition.
I've found that washing my face with Head and Shoulders shampoo helps. Use the kind with moisturizer. Rinse well!  I had flaking eyelids for months, this finally helped.
I too have the same condition.  I noticed my eyelids were burning after using my tea tree oil shampoo.  It has only gotten worse since.  They itch and burn at the same time.  Nothing seems to help and now they have flared up again only to bleed this time.  I am wondering how many of you wear contacts or take prescription medication.  Does this have something to do with it?
My nephew woke up one morning and "poof" his eyelids were crusted over with flaking skin. We tried Neosporin at first and it helped a little (I'm guessing the salve moistened the skin and made it appear to be improving). However, it never healed completely and I started trawling the web for more info. We have recently moved to a new house AND the issue only showed up once the weather became more dry, so I feel like it is an allergy. We purchased the Mario Badescu control cream (http://www.amazon.com/Mario-Badescu-Control-Cream-1oz/dp/B00172IF0W/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=A2XZDPQDN6OMHP), and I applied it 3 times a day for 2 days. The dead skin flaked off and amazingly, he had healthy smooth skin again! In just 2 days he was completely back to normal. We now do a preventative/maintenance treatment once a day and all is still fine. I also told a friend who suffers from psoriasis about the cream and we did a 2 day experiment with her. The same effect. After 2 days of 3x a day, the psoriasis patches we tested are better and there is clear healthy skin, now. This cream is amazing and non-steroidal which is super awesome!

Just thought I'd share.
I've had the same problem with red, peeling, splitting itchy eyelids for years.  I've tried many things that have worked for a week or two and them stopped working. Can you tell me if the Bert's Bees Hand Salve is still working for you?
For those of you who have recommended Mario Badescu Control Cream.  Can you tell me if it continued to work for you after a few weeks?  I know that you had immediate results but I've tried everything (coconut oil, Eucerine, vaseline, Aquafore, topical steriods...) and so far nothing has continued to work after a period of time.  MB Control Cream sounds promising, and soothing, but before investing anymore money I would like to hear how people are doing after using it for awhile.  Thanks!
Hi labknr

I can recommend Mario Badescu Control Cream. I've been using it for almost two weeks and my eye lid is back to normal.  I use it twice a day.  Once before bed and when I get up.  I've had this problem on and off for years.  This year it's been with me almost all year it only went when I took a holiday in the USA (Arizona).  I guess the sun helped.  As soon as I came back to the UK within a day or so it came back.  I tried Vaseline it would help with the itching but never got rid of the redness.  

I ended up seeing my doctor.  She prescribed me a steroid cream (Dermacort 0.1%) and told me to only use it for 3 days.  I did and after I stopped using it the redness / itching came back.   Went back to the doctors different doctor this time she told me to use the steroid cream for three weeks yet the other doctor said only use it for three days max.  This is when I started researching different things to try and come across this amazing cream.  What a god send!
Isn't the internet just fantastic?!  I have got to the (admittedly gross) stage where I actually like peeling the skin off my eyelids --most often first thing in the morning. I half don't want it cured!  I thought I must be the only person in the world with this, and just googled "scabby eyelids" and got it.  I am going to try the Burts Bees hand salve tonight because I have got some.  If it doesn't work I'll pay for the  Mario-Badescu-Control-Cream and let you all know.  I have been using Golden Eye Ointment which you suddenly can't buy any more without a prescription (it's 0.1% cortisone, I think), but it doesn't really work and it makes my vision really blurry.  Thanks for all the really  useful posts.
A PS to my last comment:  what I have noticed is how the doctors seem to be at sea and that their dubious and possibly dangerous remedies don't work.  I am going to do everything I can to avoid steroids, anti-biotics, etc.
I've had this problem for years, no solution.  I read the posts here about Mario Badescu Control Cream and there were so many mentions, I (A) thought their advertising agency must have a MedHelp membership but (B) decided to try it (found it at Ulta).  It works!!! I'm a believer and absolutely recommend this product!
I've experienced, and have been equally baffled by the same condition. Here's what I've discovered about the cause (in my case) and how to treat it....

After a year of being flake free, it came back strong after a few sessions of heated yoga. The yoga studio seemed to have some mold on the ceiling, and I am pretty certain my eye flares up around mold spores, and is associated with candida, or yeast. Even though I stopped going to the studio, the flakiness persisted for months and months.

I have been doing the following and it's helped A TON...
- use dandruff shampoo on my hair
- carefully apply the same shampoo (diluted with water)to my eyelids with a Q-tip
- apply raw coconut oil morning and evening, or throughout the day (whenever it starts to itch). Coconut oil has natural anti-fungal properties, and I think is safer to use than steroids or any chemicals
- reduce or eliminate intake of processed sugar and gluten (yeast feasts on these)
- take probiotics (also helps with yeast growth).
I was in the military 1997-2002 and I too have the red swollen dry patches that come and go on my eyelids as well as my toe nails sometimes just fall off.......It concerns me to see the number of vets with the same symptoms. I was just on the computer to google what this condition may be and found this blog page. Thank you all for your input.
I have been having the same problem for the past month and nothing has worked.  I wake up to swollen eyes with flakey dry eyelids! Its so embarrassing and I no longer can use makeup because I look so dry and cakey.  Dermotologist gave me HC 2.5% cream, that didn't even work, he said I must have allergies to something.  Every moisturizer I try burns and makes my eyelids evern more red. Last night I tried Mario Badescu Control Cream, after reading great reviews on it.  I woke up this morning 90% back to normal looking eyes, no redness, not swollen, and the dryness is almost completely gone. To any one going through this problem, go out and try this cream, Im so happy I did.
I am so relieved I found all of you on the internet.  I could not understand what was going on with my eyelids over the past couple of weeks.  Even around the outer edges, and below the bottom eyelashes.  Redness, swollen, dry patches.  Ugly.  I have had this a few times before, but this time it's staying longer, hurting (itching like crazy) more, peeling, and trying to cover it up with my makeup is a disaster, it makes it show like it's on a billboard.   Having lunch with my friend today, which was necessary, I have even been avoiding going to the grocery store, was embarrasing.  I wish it was sunny and we were eating outside, and I could wear my sunglasses. that is how bad it was.  I went to Ulta and picked up the cream everyone is bringing up, Mario Badescu Control Cream, and also picked up the cleanser.  OMG.  It was almost instant I felt the relief. Over the past few hours the redness has deminished and what I loved is it didn't burn while applying and EVERY thing else I tried did.   I am hoping for great results by morning. I hope this is what I have been praying for.  FYI, I saw a dermatologist.  He called it exzema (eczema), he gave me prescription cortizone, antibiotic cream and an antibotic (antibiotic) pill to take. Nothing worked.  He even said take benedryl to see if it's an allergy.  I hope the Mario Badescu Control Cream works.  
I reported on this over a year ago. I did purchase the Mario Badescu control cream and it was soothing when applied. The only thing thus far I had applied that didn't make it feel worse, but better. That was the first battle. The 2nd was that I left a very stressful relationship with an abusive man and my eyes cleared up altogether. Anytime I feel an itch or the slightest texture on my eyelids, I will apply the smallest amount of the Badescu cream and I have not had the problem I was having in almost a year now. I think stress was the cause more than anything. I do believe the change in environment, (the stressful one, not moving to different climates) was mostly what fixed the problem...However though, I do swear by the Badescu cream. It seemed expensive at $24 for the small jar, but I haven't even made a dent in it after having the cream for a year. I am so happy to report clear eyelids after almost a year!! Make-up, facewash, nothing seems to irritate them!!
My son had the same itchy eyelid, eyebrow problem.  He has been suffering from it for years, he has even scratched some of his eyebrows off because of the severe itching.  I have taken him to three dematologists, two opthamalogists, his primary care doctor to no avail.  I have tried everything from home remedies like coconut oil, vaseline, baby shampoo; to steroids, hydrocortizone, etc.  I came upon this website four weeks ago.  I sent away for Mark Bardescu's control cream.  As soon as it came I started using it on my son's eyelids and eyebrows.  After two days I could see a difference.  Now it has been two weeks.  He doesn't itch any more.  The sores have healed, the flaking on his eyelids have healed.  I took him to the doctor this morning for something else and I told the doctor about the "miracle cure".  He blew me off and made it seem like it was going to heal on it's own anyway.  Whatever!  Thanks to everyone who posted about the control cream.  You don't know what this has meant to my son.
My son is having the same problem. Red, dry, flacking skin. I just wanted to check after applying this cream every thing is ok and its giving better result after 2-3 weeks. Please let me know.
I'm from Washington and have this EXACT problem. Someone on this post said eyes, behind knee and down there? That exactly where it gets me too. I can promise you its not the weather. I've had this for about 6 months on the eye and my whole life behind the knee. I'm going to try the sugar free diet and the not washing the eyelid thing but I can assure you its not the weather. It's raining here 24/7
I just ordered the Mario Badescu control cream from Amazon  and I really hope it works since my eyelids are driving me nuts , hurt and red and wrinkled .  I did try burts bee's eye cream and it seemed to soothe it for alittle whille but its not working as I speak .. So hopefully when I get the Mario cream it will help ! I never had this condition before but for the lat 4 months its been nasty and seems to be a reoccuring condition that I have now!
Thank goodness for the internet!  And Thanks to all of you for your comments.  I've been having the red, swollen, itchy, flaky eyes since late January.  After reading another forum I tried several different remedies, like washing with Johnson's Baby Shampoo, applying diluted Tea Tree Oil (don't do this!! worst burning I've ever had!), taking Grape Seed Extract.  Woke up one morning with my eyes were swollen shut and crusted over and extremely red eyelids, under the eyes and flaking even above my eyebrows.  I went to the Dr that day and he diagnosed me with Blepharitis and prescribed Tobramycin/Dexamethasone eye drops ($48 for a very, very small bottle which I was told to throw away after my 3 day dosage) for 3 days only.  He also advised me to use Cortizone 10.  After 3 days my eyes cleared up and I was able to wear make-up again.  However, it's returned on several occasions.  Seems the only thing that helps is Cortizone 10, but prolonged use is not good, especially with my family history of Glaucoma.  I did at CVS an inexpensive eye ointment that worked only if I could treat at the earliest onset of this condition.  I read another forum that suggested maybe my readers were causing the problem.  I'd bought a new pair after the first of the year, so I discontinued using those, but the problem still persists.  I also developed an itchy rash on my neck as well. After reading the comments above, I made a trip to my local Ulta store today and bought the Mario Badescu Control Cream/Cream Soap/Calma Mask.  I am anxious to find out if this will finally resolve the problem and will report back.   I can't believe there is no Dr/Dermatologist/Opthamologist out there with a try diagnosis/treatment.  How frustrating for all of us to have to experience this trial & error with so many potential treatments.  I wonder  - what is the common thread?
I've had this for about 6 years.  My Mother and sister-in-law also have it.  I have a eye ointment called FML.  Helps SLIGHTLY, but I can't seem to find the Mario ??? control cream anywhere???  Year after year it gets worse!  I just started with the neck rash this year.  WTH is this....?  I even have blurred vision lately.  I DO think hot compresses help slightly.  I have used baby shampoo, the last 3 years, to remove makeup and still suffer.  I'm going insane with the allergies now, which are related to the outbreaks.  Any other allergy sufferers find the connection to their outbreaks??
Hi! As everyone else, I'm also experiencing the same thing now. I don't know how I got it but I didn't notice it until I was a junior in highschool. My friend asked me why my eyelid look dry. I shrugged and said I didn't notice. So when I go home, I checked out my eyelid, and it was as my friend said. It was dry and cracked but still smooth. I didn't really give it much thought because I figure it would go away eventually. So everyday when I go to school, I put lotion on my eyelid so that no one can see it. That when on for quite a while. It became to the point where it will start to itch and began to flake. I was scared because I didn't know what it was and so I started to peel it, because I thought that it would go away if I did so. Wrong! It just got worser It spread the other eye and now I'm dealing with both dry, flakey, and itchy eye. At this point I never told anyone about because I was embarrassed about it. So I couldn't take it anymore and showed it to my mom. My mom went oh this, and gave me this cream called Dermovate cream. She told that before I go to sleep, put some on my eye and try not to rub it. So I did. For the past three nights I spread the cream on before I go to sleep and the next morning I looked at the mirror and notice the flakes were coming off. So I peeled it and I was left with a clean, smooth and non-itchy eye. It was like a miracle cream. So after a years, it didn't show up, but after I graduated from high school, it showed up again and this time it didn't leave for good. When I put the dermovate cream on, at every night, sure it makes disappear for a while but it will come back in a week or two. Now I'm just frustrated with it. I went to go to a eye doctor and they said they didn't know what it was, so that got me even more frustrated. No I'm stuck with it until I figure something out. But for those out there who has the same problem and don't know what to do, try using the Dermovate cream. It might work for you or not. It depends on different people. So try it but I suggest you search it up on google to see what it is and what it does before you use it. But like I said, it may or may not work depending on different people.
To anyone who got the Mario Badescu Control Cream. I went to their site and found dozens of creams under a search for "control cream",
none that carried that exact name. Which specific cream is it? Does anyone have the exact name?
Warning: The formula was changed..., April 7, 2013
I too have this problem and wanted to order the Mario Badescu Control Cream but when I went on Amazon to read the reviews from the use of this cream, I found out they changed the ingredients and it is not the same. You can go to Amazon and see for yourself the warnings; Read Carefully;
This review is about: Mario Badescu Control Cream (0.50 oz) (Health and Beauty)
This used to be a great product, and it was my 'holy grail', but very recently (early 2013) the company changed the formula WITHOUT informing it's loyal customers. The new product BADLY damaged my skin. Find me @RustiResta on Twitter where I posted photos of my face after using the new Control Cream. I'm going on week 4 now..been seen by 3 different docs and spent $$$ on them and meds. Do Not Buy this! I will NEVER purchase anything from this irresponsible company again.
Hello, from your post I assume that you are from the UK. Where can one buy Mario Badescu control cream in the UK? I looked on Nordstorm and BeatyBay but neither have this product in stock. Has it been discontinued?
OK, I am seriously so happy for all the people that have discovered Mario Badescu control cream before the ingredients were changed. However, please help those of us who can't get it!! It would seem that the product was changed or has been discontinued and neither Nordstrom nor Beauty Bay (UK) stocks it now (possibly due to the reason christy 1962 mentioned). So please can anyone recommend a solution for those of us who weren't lucky enough to buy a pot before it was changed? I've tried cortisone but am scared that prolonged use will severely thin my skin. I am also taking cetrizine which is just an allergy relief medicine.
It would seem that the cause is still unknown for many, or that it varies from person to person. But can somebody please recommend a solution!!  
This is Roxi, I was chatting with Mario company and they said they are working on new product and should be available in several months. Below is the chat:

Lauren
Hello, Rox. I'll be helping you out today.

1:55 pm
Rox
I think I have blepharitis and I came across online discussion forum and people have used Mario Badescu Control Cream for the purpose

i am trying to look for it on the wesite but cant see the product

1:55 pm
Lauren
We are currently in the process of developing a new and improved Control Cream product. We do not know when it will be back in stock, but we are working hard to bring it back as quickly as possible. We are very sorry for the inconvenience

blepharistis is not an external issue..

did you see a opthamologist?

an*

1:56 pm
Rox
no but i know for sure its blepharitis

and its been happening since i was a kid

1:57 pm
Lauren
unfortunately we don't have anything for eye issues, I am so sorry

1:57 pm
Rox
it happens more in dry weather

1:57 pm
Lauren
but maybe it's worth a try seeing an opthamologist or looking up home remedies in the interim

1:57 pm
Rox
is there a way i can get notified once its available in the market...because the one i see it on amazon has bad reviews saying it is not good...and saying they changed formula

1:58 pm
Lauren
have you joined our mailing list?

1:58 pm
Rox
so i don't want to buy tht

1:58 pm
Lauren
we will send out an email blast when we do :)

1:59 pm
Rox
i hope u guys are redoing the formula for the cream

i will b happy to join mailing list

1:59 pm
Lauren
We are currently in the process of developing a new and improved Control Cream product

ok great!

but it may take a while for the product to come back...perhaps several months

2:00 pm
Rox
ok

I am signed up for email updates..hopefully one day I will see the control cream and be able to fix  blepharitis

I am also experiencing those stuff like scaling and itchiness. This really started when I first use false eyelashes. And that was my first and last use. Urgh!!! I was never allergic to cosmetic products and after that false eyelashes I cannot wear even mascara because it will itch.

I am really bothered because it's almost two years already and I'm still having this eyelid problem. What home remedies can you guys recommend? I'm on a tight budget plus I'm a student. I don't have the resources (money).
This problem showed up out of the blue for me just a few months ago on one eye,  I tried neosporin initially thinking it was some kind of bacterial thing I could kill.  Then I tried vitamin E lotion for a while, which "kinda" worked. Nth at burned like crazy even with the tiny amount of alcohol in the cream. Here us what is working for me and at least has my eye looking normal.  First, don't touch, rub or scratch it with your hand no matter. How itchy it gets.  Don't wash it with soap and water of any kind.  Just let the water from the shower run over it.  Apply vitamin E  OIL as necessary using a Qtip, lightly rubbing it on.  I was initially needing to do this 5 or 6,times a day, but now as my eye is healing I only need to do it twice a day...before I go to bed and after I shower.  The vitamin E oil is a soy oil with vitamin E.
Wow. The Burt's Bees Hand Salve worked wonders.

I had tried several facial moisturizers with no luck.

The facial moisturizers I tried were the non-clogging variety and mostly irritated my dry eyelids.

The Burt's Bees Hand Salve is like very dense petroleum jelly with a medicinal quality. Whatever is in it, it works great. It is too greasy for women to use along with eye makeup, but it worked great for me. It's like a miracle to get rid of the redness, slight swelling and the itch.

The price was steep for a small can at the supermarket, but a little bit goes a long way. I would bet that the $9 3oz can will last me all winter. If you have trouble finding it, look in the natural foods section instead of the HBA section. The Dillon's/Kroger store near me doesn't keep it with the rest of the hand cream. Amazon has it a couple dollars cheaper too.

Thank you so much for the recommendation.
ot a doctor but did a lot of research online to figure out my itchy red patch on eyelid too…think it may be called tinea faciei. Basically a fungus on the face. think jockitch on the face. I lived with this crap for two years on and off using hydrocotisone to mask the issue only to have my eyelid skin thin out off control (hydrocortisone thins the skin) so finally tried to figure it out on my own since I didnt want to go to dermo until new year(new deductable). Anyway, first tried monistat cream $15(didnt work), then tried lotrimin $15(worked a little), finally tried Lamisil $18(was the most expensive over the counter but totally started clearing it up after two days) its terbinafine which is supposed work best on tinea faciei…
dont know if its a prob to put this stuff near the eye but i was desperate and its working! Just want to help someone else out there since i was so in need myself!!

BTW, think i got this from using an eyeshadow applicator that was prob infected by another person who had this fungus (tinea faciei)-yuk or maybe got this from touching something already infected (dont know could be anything-apparently animals and kids tranfer this often). anyway think its contagious just like jockitch and ringworm. Hope this helps someone!
just had a live chat on the Mario Badescu website. "Jennifer" says the Control Creme is discontinued and NOT coming back. My problem began last month on Thanksgiving Day so I did not have an opportunity to try the control cream.
have tried several other things but this is not going away. Will try Burts bees hand salve next. Please post if anyone has found a replacement for the Mario Badescu cream.
found the MB Control cream on Amazon but it is $89. no way of knowing if it is original formula or not so it won't be getting it. the cost is too much anyway.
ok so Amberleia posted an amazon website page in Nov.2012 which brought up the old control creme purchase page. The ingredients were:
Water,Carnation Oil,Polyglycerylmethacrylate (and) Propylene Glycol, Seamollient, Balsam Peru.

Maybe by knowing the ingredients, we can find a substitute. Here is the complete product description...

Benefits:

Our famous anti-redness cream is an effective treatment for red, rashy, flaky and irritated skin types and Rosacea sufferers. Balsam Peru is the active, soothing botanical ingredient that will make a visible difference immediately upon application. Non-greasy, low oil formula. May be used for troubled areas of the face or in place of a moisturizer. Works well with our Azulene Calming Mask.

How to Use:

Gently massage on red, irritated or flaky areas before moisturizer or night cream. May be used in place of a moisturizer for very sensitive skin.

Beauty Tip:

For excessively flaky, dry skin apply Rose Hips Nourishing Oil all over the face and layer Control Cream on top. For a redness reducing mask treatment apply Control Cream all over the face and apply Calma mask or Azulene Mask over it for 20 minutes and rinse. May be used as a post-shave, soothing cream or to calm redness after face and body waxing.
As I said in a previous post in Nov 2012, I have had problems with red, itchy, peeling eyelids for almost 20 years.  This is not blepharitis, which is usually along where the eyelashes grow out, but on the lid.  I have gone to numerous doctors including dermatologists, allergists and general practitioners.  I feel that this is a condition that has not been named yet.  Many on the people above have described their symptoms that sounds like mine, while others describe something else.  Years ago a doctor gave me a steroid/hydrocortizone cream which worked for awhile but over time the condition would return and I would have to use it more often or a doc would perscribe a stronger cream.  Eventually I had enough and stopped using it, the withdrawal was worse than the symptoms.  Last Nov I found this site and ordered the Mario Badescu Control cream from their website.  It was a miracle.  For the first time ever my symptoms were gone and my skin healed.  If I felt that familiar twitch that told me my symptoms were returning I would apply a tiny amount and the itching would disappear and the dryness would never materialize.  Unfortunately, I ran out of the cream a few months ago.  I was unable to order more but found, what I thought was one on the last jars available at Ulta. Although the jar, and the ingredients listed, were the same as on the "miracle" jar, it was not the same cream!  It was a slightly different color (a pearl blue rather than just blue), it doesn't rub into my eyelids but rather "sits" on top and it stings.  My eyelids look worse than ever, peeling with swollen bumps that look like mosquito bites.  They even split and bleed and when I wake in the morning they are almost swollen shut.  I was so happy to find the Control Cream after so many years of having this problem.  I just wonder why they stopped making it, even after months of telling us (I wrote them too) that they were "improving" the forumula.  This is such a disappointment.  
Just found this on the Mario Badescu facebook page.  Maybe this is why they have stopped making the control cream too?  WOW, I guess that's why they haven't given us a reason!  
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20121217000978
and this was posted on Amazon
Control Cream has been pulled from the market because it is believed that it contained undisclosed corticosteroids. And if you can find someone selling the 'old' formula (pre-March 2013), DO NOT purchase it!!! Or if you are still using the old formula, STOP!! For all of you who are new here and suffering from what you think is a 'reaction' to the 'new formula' (Mario Badescu 'reformulated' Control Cream--i.e., likely removed the working ingredients, the corticosteroids--in Feb/Mar 2013), be aware that you are likely suffering from topical corticosteroid withdrawal (TCW) as it is firmly believed that this very deceitful, unethical company had been adding undisclosed corticosteroids to both its Control Cream and Healing Cream, both of which the company is no longer selling. In short, you have been applying harmful, addictive corticosteroids to your face!!! THIS is why these products worked so very well for your ailments!! BUT corticosteroids are intended to be used for only 14 days maximum! (And some corticosteroids, the ones suspected to have been added to Control Cream and Healing Cream, should NEVER BE APPLIED TO THE FACE!) When used for long periods of time, corticosteroids can cause irreparable damage to the skin. And when corticosteroids are abruptly stopped, the skin will respond most negatively (redness, blistering, burning, stinging, itching, pustules, papules, dryness, etc.), sound familiar?
I have the same simptoms as you all and have been diagnosed with BLEPHARITIS by an ophthalmologist. I am using Blephasol, Blephaclean sterile pads and MGDRx Eye bag for Blepharitis. The products make the condition bearable.
Try blistex the medicated lip ointment. The white tube.  It has worked for me.
Blistex the white tube. It helped me
I am a 52 year old female with seasonal allergies. When these symptoms first appeared about a year and half ago, I attributed it to seasonal allergies and would cease wearing makeup until the irritation settled down. Since then, I have had numerous reoccurrences and have tried many products. I have tried Burt's Bees sensitive eye cream (OK success) which stings a tiny bit once applied but settles down quickly and seems to moisturize the flakiness for a few hours but does not address reducing wrinkles caused by the swelling. I have also tried Aquahphor healing ointment which is a petroleum based ointment which essentially relieves the itch but leaves behind a glossy oily appearance, making it impossible to wear makeup. Today I went into Ulta on a mission to find a final solution and was directed to Clinique repairwear laser focus wrinkle correcting eye cream (not cheap- @ $43 for a .5oz jar) and promptly put it on ONE eye when I got home. I gave it about an hour before returning to my 10X mag mirror to see a definite improvement. I have applied it to the other eye now and will report the results in a few days if it is successful so all of you suffering from this annoying affliction have another option to experiment with.
I have a similar problem, only mostly the bottom lid under my eye is flaking and the top is just dry. A lot of people think its just seasonal allergies, or a reaction to a product used on the face. Its crazy some of the posts that Ive read on here say the doctors dont even really know what it is or how to treat it so they just give you a cream saying its just a "skin problem." Well duhh of course its a skin problem but there are so many out there.
My advice to anyone who is still having problems treating this, go to the doctor and ask about a steroid cream. I went to my doctor and was diagnosed with "eye dandruff" also known as Blepharitis. She have me a mild steroid cream to apply to the flaky area and it works wonderfully! It does not cure the problem, especially if you stop using it once you think your eyes are starting to get better. but it manages it, if you use the cream daily. Think of it as an antibiotic.. The doctor tells you to take the medicine until its gone bc if you stop mid healing process, the infection will just come back. Somewhat similar of a deal here. And I can say from personal experience my eyes feel so much better. There's some more information provided in the links below if it sounds like this applies to you. Hope it helps!!

https://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/eye-and-vision-problems/glossary-of-eye-and-vision-conditions/blepharitis

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-treat-dandruff-eyelids-643783.html?cat=5
I also suffered from the dry, itchy eyelids.  It was terrible.  I saw the various posts about it being some type of yeast infection, which I am very sensitive to if I take an antibiotic.  I realized that about 3 months ago, I took penicillin because of a root canal.  I took a pill, Diflucan, which is specific to yeast infections.  I definitely have relief.  In addition, I coated my eyelids at night with Nystatin and Triamcinolone Acetonide ointment.  I cannot tell you what a relief this has brought.  Obviously both of these are prescriptions that I was lucky enough to have, but it is definitely worth a try.
agree, i think it has something to do with our natural skill oil/lubricant. I notice that for a few days. when i wake up in the morning if i don't take a bath right away it take longers hours before dry skin starts to show whereas if a take a bath right away and clean my face, within an hour dry skin will show, regardless of the soap i used.
I looked up the Mario Badescu Control Cream, they took the original product off the market because they did not list steroids in the ingredients, now you know why it was so good.  But anyway, I have the same problem as the rest of you and have narrow it down to a fungal infections.  I thought I would share how I have controlled it.  I started off using Monistat 7, yes the product for women's yeast infection, I used a thin layer 2x a day (yes on my eyelid) for a view days and then 1x a day for an additional 5 days, because we all know it takes a good 7 days to clear up a yeast infection even though you fill a lot better in a couple of days. It did completely clear up, but a couple weeks later it came back, full force.  Then it hit me, I was cleaning out my dog's ears who has chronic yeasty ears until I tried a product called Zymox. It's a natural enzymatic Solution that destroys yeast.  On my 3rd day and the infection is 90% gone. It also contains 1% Hydrocortisone so it stops the irritation and itching.  One of the ingredients is a enzymes found in natural tears to combat infections.  They also make a shampoo, ear cleanser, and cream.  I just ordered the cream. My dog has been free of ear infections for a year now, just read the reviews on the product on Amazon. I was spending $60-100 on antifungal products for her and then came across this product for around $12.  Dog ears have a very thin layer of skin, so I can't imagine why you could not use this product on your eyelid making sure you don't get it in your eyes.  I will keep you posted on my progress with treating the condition.

I have recently come across the same problem. A friend of mine recently developed eczema of the eye. There are many types, too. I know I have to see a dermatologist, but I have been searching the web like crazy trying to understand what has happened to me over the course of just a few weeks. I don't even recognize myself sometimes when I wake up with red, cracked, patchy, flaky, swollen eyes. At it's mildest, I look like I need eyelid corrective surgery. Just not me, and it's freaking me out. Anyway, I came across this disorder a lot, it's called Blepharitis. I think I will ask my doctor about this, and so should you. My friend also went to a Walgreen's clinic the first time around and they prescribed her something that made it worse. She has directed me to steer clear. She was prescribed a high dose of hydrocortisone and swears by it. Anyway, good luck to you.
This is what I was hoping to read.  So often things work well for just a short period of time.....thanks for the proof that the Mario Badsco Control Creme is still working. I know what I'M buying today lol!  I also won't report on it for a good while because I want to be double proof that it works. Away to the store with me!!!