Dermatology Expert Forum
Damaged Moisture Barrier of My Face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Damaged Moisture Barrier of My Face

I am a 55 year old female.  Two months ago, I used Aveeno Active Naturals Ultra-Calming Moisturizing Cream Cleanser on my face.  It made my skin look extremely clarified.  As I applied my L'Oreal Genesis Night Complex, which contains denatured alcohol, I saw my skin split in several places on the tender area of my cheeks to the left and right of my nose.  The damaged skin looks coarse and granular in texture.  I suspect that my moisture barrier was stripped away.  Also, the Aveeno product contains Feverfew extract which can cause contact dermatitis.  So I'm not sure what happened in my case.  I have never had a skin condition before this occurrence.  My dermatologist never gave me a diagnosis, but said to use Cetaphil Restoraderm Body Wash and Cetaphil Restoraderm Body Lotion on my face.  That has helped a little, but more damage has occurred and my skin is still coarse and granular.  My skin often feels raw, is sometimes red, sometimes stings when I sweat, but is not often itchy.   Recently, a sunken oval area in my skin has developed. It is approximately 1.5 cm x .5 cm and the skin is also coarse and granular.  It feels like the skin in these problem areas of my face is getting eaten away.
What should I use for a face wash and moisturizer to make my skin feel better, look better and to restore the moisture barrier?  
Welcome to the Dermatology Expert Forum!

Dry skin with rough texture, intermittent redness, and occasional itchiness on checks and around the nose area always require Rosacea and Seborrhoic dermatitis to be considered. However, a “sunken” skin is mostly caused by skin atrophy. In such a case, a skin biopsy is important in process of establishing the final diagnosis.

For restoring skin barrier function, it is recommended to avoid any harsh cleansing or treatment product (meaning it should be hypoallergenic, soap-free, alcohol-free, fragrance free, etc.) including make-up. To support skin recovery there are several skin-barrier creams/ointments available on the market.

Wishing You Optimal Health,
Dr. Jasmina Jankicevic
Have you tried using "First Aid Beauty" products? You may want to try their Daily Face Moisturizer. It is dermatologist recommended. It has ceramides which can help to restore the skin moisture barrier. CeraVe also has ceramides, but I don't know about how good it is. You can get First Aid Beauty at stores like Sephora. You can also ask your dermatologist about these products.
I did a little research on the Daily Face Moisturizer from First Aid Beauty and noticed that it contains Feverfew.  I'm leery of that ingredient because the Aveeno product, that I had a problem with, contained Feverfew.  Thank you for the suggestion.  
Thank you for your response.  I have an appointment with a third dermatologist tomorrow and will ask him about a skin-barrier cream/ointment.