Dermatology Expert Forum
Dandruff?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Dandruff?

For the past 2 months I have been noticing flakes in my hair and itching on my scalp. The itching comes and goes, and there are some areas on my scalp that look dry and when rubbed will flake off. I have tried H&S, Selsun, T-Gel, Nizoral 1%, Tea Tree shampoo, and salon type moisturizing shampoo. Nothing has worked. Sometimes it seems to get better, but then the next day when fixing my hair I notice more flakes again or sections of my scalp that seem to be flaking off. It's mostly on my part line on the top of my head and on the crown of my head, but sometimes is all over. I am getting very self-conscious about this problem, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I did visit a dermatologist who gave me lidex solution, which doesn't seem to make a difference either. How can I get rid of this problem or at least control it so it's not so noticeable?
There are other topical treatments =that often help: Loprox shampoo, Clobex shampoo, selenium sulfide shampoo, various topical steroids and foams.  Your doctor can recommend what seems appropriate and try until the best one is found.  There isn't one thing that works for everyone, but nearly everyone can be helped.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Hey,

I had a monster dandruff problem a few months ago, I would wake up and skip my day at the job when I'd see the white spots on my wet hair,I had flakes on my upper forehead, even in my beard sometimes..it was a nightmare, you're always checking behind you if there's somebody staring at it etc...
I found out the reason behind mine was because I used to smoke pot, if you're taking drugs, you better quit if you want to get rid of it, otherwise I recommend Selsun Blue shampoo, don't use Head and Shoulders or T-Gel; or even Nizoral (which is still a good alternative) but it didn't work for me..You need to drink a lot of water and get full nights of sleep. Selsun Blue for your scalp type, lots of water and sleep, no drugs and it should be gone within a week..

Good luck
I don't and have never taken drugs, so I don't think that's my problem. I already drink about 6-8 glasses of water a day and am getting plenty of sleep. Thanks for the advice, but I think I am needing another direction--I have already tried Selsun, Nizoral and all the other shampoos as well.
I posted above with another question but noticed this post- I have a condition like dandruff, the flakes are very large & ever-present, sometimes crusty. Took a long time to find out it is actually a yeast imbalance on my scalp! I have a medical condition that reduces my immune system's ability to cope, my guess is that this condition isn't commonly found in healthy individuals but probably more often on people like myself, or HIV+ individuals, etc.. However, you might want to try taking acidopholus orally (health food stores have this).. out here in CA Trader Joe's makes a decent freeze-dried kind that's inexpensive & doesn't have to be refrigeratred. Try reducing your sugar/alcohol (if any) intake as well, give it a week & see if that helps. I've also had luck with L'Anza Urban Elements Deep Cleansing Shampoo, which is pricey but has helped the pH balance of my scalp alot. Yogurt applied directly to the scalp is another home remedy that should help, if it is a yeast imbalance. Good luck! :)