Dermatology Expert Forum
Dark Lesion on Vulva Melanoma or not

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Dark Lesion on Vulva Melanoma or not

I am 26 yrs. and for 10 months I have had pesistent itching on my vulva with some sores and tearing. For that 10 months it was diagnosed as yeat infection and bacterial. Recently I went to by gyn and she stated that it was Lichen Sclerosis and possibly another condition happening at the same time. She found a dark lesion on the vulva that she stated might be melanoma. She did a biopsy and I am waiting for the results.

My question is could this lesion be melanoma since it was not there previously and is very dark (purplish black)and how is this distinguished from a benign condition.

How long does it take to get the results back and how accurate are they?
Melanoma sounds extremely unlikely.  A biopsy is usually definitive.  My pathology lab issues reports in 24 hours.  The sooner you get the results, the faster you'll be able to be reassured and enjoy the holiday.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff