Dermatology Expert Forum
Dark Spots on skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Dark Spots on skin
Hello. I am a 20 year old light skin hispanic male. About 3 years ago i noticed 3  brown blotchy looking dark spots on top of my left foot. They are flat painless dark brown spots and were not caused by any trauma, they just suddenly appeared. A little over a year ago i noticed that on the left side of the back of my thigh i noticed about 13 of these spots ranging in size but most are larger than an ince in diameter. Also on the top of my calf there are 2 brown blotchy spots. None have changed in color or texture since ive had them. Not even the ones on my foot that ive had for 3 years have had any changes. My leg hair still grows on the spots. But recently ive felt an ache on my left leg. Not a bad pain but just an ache. The ache comes and goes.  I cant seem to find anything online. I was looking at skin cancer websites and most of the symptoms do not match mine. The spots have not changed in texture nor color since ive had them. They feel normal like the rest of my skin and they do not hurt. I went to the doctor at my university and he told me it was probably just extra pigmentation. Please help!!!  Can you tell me what to look for in the spots? I am not dark skinned and the spots were not a result of any type of trauma. Am i worrying too much??  From what i have told you, what are some possibilites.
People of color often have brown spots like the ones you describe.  It is unlikely that they mean anything at all. just as the doctor you saw thought.  I suggest you consult a dermatologist in person.  One visit should be enough to give you the reassurance you need.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, thinning hair was started.
A related discussion, Spots on my lips was started.