Dermatology Expert Forum
Dark areas on neck
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Dark areas on neck

I hope someone can help me.   I am a 30 year old white women.  As far back as I can remember I've had a dark "ring" around my neck.  The skin feels normal, not thick or rough, but it is really dark.  I feel like I look dirty.  When I was a child my mother would scrub at it but it would not go away.  Everyday I wash/scrub the area but it doesn't seem to improve.  I also miosturize the area after I shower.  I have never been able to wear my hair up, or cut it short, because my neck looks so terrible.  Have you ever heardof this?  Is there anything I can do about it?  ( I also have dark elbows and knees, but not nearly as bad as my neck).  
Related Discussions
242489 tn?1210500813
I can't be sure without seeing you, of course, but I think you may have acanthosis nigricans.  (This literally means "dark thickening.")  It's pretty common and most of the time of no significance beyond appearance.  I recommend that you consult a dermatologist for diagnosis and perhaps treatment with topical creams which can help smooth and lighten the skin.  It's slow going, but improvement is possible.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
2 Comments
Blank
silverbook- have you ever put alcohol on a cotton ball and rubbed your neck?  my 29 year old son has also had this for years(i too was telling him to scrub his neck all the time) and i did not think too much of it until yesterday when he went to a dermatologist who said he had to lose some weight because that is a sign of some serious conditions like diabetes.
Blank
A related discussion, dark circle and dark neck was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
05/15 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
233488 tn?1310696703