Dark blotches on face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dark blotches on face

Hi i have rcently come back off holiday. I tan quite easily but use sun protection but this time i have noticed dark bloches on my cheeks and they lok unsightly and i was wondering if there was anything i could use to diminish the look of these and could you also give me an idea what this could be. Thanks for listening
Tags: face
Hi, I have those too, do they look like age spots? If not, they could be what I have been diagnosed with, which is called melasma. Melasma sometimes occurs in pregnant women or those on birth control, but it happened to me for other reasons (ie, none of the above, just my luck).

Do a google image search and see if that's what it looks like. If so, then the best thing you can do is wear a good sunscreen and hat if you can, and try those creams that even out skin tone. My dermatologist gave me a cream, but I just started using it so I don't know if it will help. He also offered me the option of a peel, but I'm not ready to do that just yet. It's definitely more noticeable when I've been out in the sun. Mine is all over, my forehead, cheeks, and chin, so it's just lovely.

Good luck.

Nothing can be said with surety without having a look at the lesions.

This could be due to tanning, eczema, dermatitis, fungal or bacterial infection, etc.

There are several side effects associated with tanning -

'Sunburn, also called erythema, is one of the most obvious signs of UV exposure and skin damage. Often marked by redness and peeling (usually after a few days), sunburn is a form of short-term skin damage.'

'Sun tan - The increase in skin pigment, called melanin, which causes the tan color change in your skin is a sign of damage.'

'Sometimes referred to as “photoaging,” premature aging is the result of unprotected UV exposure. It takes the form of leathery, wrinkled skin, and dark spots.'

'There are two main types of skin cancer:Melanoma, Non-melanoma'

'Actinic or solar keratoses, is a concern because it can progress into cancer. Actinic keratoses are considered the earliest stage in the development of skin cancer, and are caused by long-term exposure to sunlight. They are the most common pre-malignant skin condition.'

Avoid sun exposure, use calamine lotion and a medicated sun screen, wash your face several times, and talk to your skin specialist.

You could read more about this at -

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/tanning/risks.html

It would be advisable to consult your doctor if you have any of these symptoms.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.