Dark line at middle of the nose.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dark line at middle of the nose.

I have a dark horizontal line across my nose for about 5 years now. Not sure where it came from. It was developed slowly.

Additional Details
No stuffy nose or rubbing of the nose.
Not sure how the line got there and it is not a line that I can feel.
Its just a dark horizontal line at middle of nose.

What is this line about? How does it come? and What is the solution to get rid of this line?

Thanks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This hyperpigmentation is brought about by over production of melanin. Uneven pigmentation of the skin may be a natural occurrence or related to ultraviolet light, infection, hormones, drugs, acne or topical chemicals applied to the skin.  Other causes of hyperpigmentation include sunspots, freckles, “acne spots” and melasma.  Sunspots  result from the increased production of melanin from sun exposure. If other symptoms occur and if it persists, have this evaluated by your doctor for proper management. Direct clinical examination is important in reaching a diagnosis.

Take care and keep us posted.
Hi, Ms. Rowena
I am thankful for the answer. May be you are almost right that it is the hyper pigmentation brought about by over production of melanin.

But, my curiosity is to know that how is it possible for it to develop in particular horizontal line? I have saw the images of hyper pigmentation here on internet, it just shows me that it is getting spread uneven. But in my case it is perfectly going in horizontal line at middle of nose and limited only to that line on nose, nothing more at up or nothing more at down, nothing at any side of it. So just want to ask due to respect of your study and knowledge that have you seen such line with any of your patient? are you aware of such case in your career?

I think you are able to give me answer.
Thank You.

I am also posting one more case, i think it is just like me which i have find here on the same community.

Are we both having this line due to hyperpigmentation which is brought about by over production of melanin? or Is it something else?

here it is....  the web address of it is [ http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/622155 ]

" Dark Line Around Nose

by mrsbeck826

Member since Sep 2008

Sep 09, 2008 10:15AM

I have had a black line around my nose for years, and I cannot figure out why.  Can anyone help?  I have tried the Biore strips, peroxide, scrubbing with a brush and even Ambi.  I don't know how to get rid of it.  Someone had the audacity to tell me that they think that I had gotten some mascara on my nose.  If I did, how would I had done that unless I was trying to do it on purpose.  I'm not sure if I got it from wearing glasses as a child or what.  It goes completely around my nose from corner to corner - but not underneath.  Do I have something?

Even in my case I have never use glasses.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I have never seen a case with the same presentation like you have. However, I was able to read about transverse nasal lines, which is a malformation in the nose.  In fair individuals, this is a pink line or a groove which may become more prominent with vasodilatation. In darker skin tones, however, this line may be hyperpigmented. This location corresponds to a line of fusion between 2 cartilages in the nose. There is an abstract of a study done by WBShelley et al of such condition at this link: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119144610/abstract

I hope this helps. Take care and regards.

I think, this is the reason. Now, I got the convincing reason of  getting develope this line. Thanx a lot Rowena.
Is there any solution to get rid of this unwanted line? or Is it permanent due to malformation of nose?  Pleas, let me know if you are aware about the solution of it.

Once again thank you very much Rowena.
(I am putting one image, to show the thing exactly, so it may become useful to other people also who have this problem)

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/14mwegh.jpg[/IMG]

[   http://i39.tinypic.com/14mwegh.jpg  ]
Hi-
I have the same issue with a line on my nose - I don't think it's a transverse nasal line, because I searched for it on Google and many articles indicate those are hereditary and are showing up in an early childhood. Plus, they tend to be light-colored (lighter than the rest of your skin).

My line, however, showed up about 5 years ago and hasn't gotten worse or better, it just stays there. I think it may have something to do with oil in my face. I am not a very oily type, but my nose tends to be sometimes.

Will keep looking for a solution to try at home...
horizontal line like what you mention is indicative of atopy.http://www.dermatlas.com/derm/result_classic.cfm?Diagnosis=1618731969.
Simply type atopy,transverse crease nose,or horizontal line ,middle of nose you have your answer i hope.Kindly excuse my short reply i am travelling.
If you have no symptoms of atopy,check your family history.In my practice I treat these horizontal pigmentory lines as a forme fruste expression of atopy.A way of treatment is to apply hydrocortisone for a week or so.Consult your doc.An otc would be aloevera creme and vitC and bcomplex.
I also have a horizontal line on my nose that developed less than a year ago. It's horrible..I thought it would go away, but it hasn't. I also have two dark patches under my left temple/next to my cheek and on the right side of my face as well. Next to my ears..those developed about a year after I had my son. Idk if I got these things due to pregnancy hormones or what..they're horrible and I don't know what to do about them.
Oooh my gosh finally ive met people with the same problem as me. my name is Marquel Thompson and im 15 years old along with the standard breakouts us teens have to deal with over the last 4 or soo years i have acquired the dreaded line across my nose and i always thought it was my fault, always messing with my nose because i have always had allergies. im so embarrassed because the nose is like the most noticeable part of your face and of course other kids make fun of it. i even thought about putting streach mark cream on it would that even work . please help if you want you can email me ***@****. just need advice please and thankyou
I been having this line across my nose over 10 years and time to time I applied medications and nothing worked for me. Some doctors opinion is this is a hyper pigmentation and others tell this is a bacterial infection. I've been doing this treatment for about 6 months and I'm having a good improvement. Now this line has been reduced to the middle of the nose but the size is bit of larger than it was. I doubt this is a bacterial infection. However I have a trust with the medications I apply and I believe this will remove it completely.

The creams I've been using for about 6 months.

At night.
Glycolic Acid 12%
Retin A 0.05
Azelaic Acid

Morning
Glycolid Acid 12%
Azelaic Acid
Sunscreen SPF 20+

I wash the area day using a 2% salicylic acid face wash.
Have those acid creams been working for you?  My line is very visible, I've also had it for 10+ years, I'm 25.  Its the first thing I see when I look in the mirror.  It makes me really self conscious.  

Do you have allergies?  I grew up with a bad case of allergies, had my tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) removed too.  Allergies have lessened since then but still come and go when the season hits.  

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get rid of it or lessen the visibility, please advise.

Thanks :)
yes the medications are working for me. Nothing worked for me over 10 years now I'm 32 years but this time I'm removing this. Now the line has become a back circle and its on the middle of my nose. Retin A, Azelaic Acid and Glycolic acid are the safest medications because my dermatologist strongly advised me to avoid products with hydroqunone.
My dermatologist recently advised me to increase the glycolic acid strength and apply as following. I also feel this is the most effective way.

At night.
Azelaic Acid 20% cream ( wait 20 mins)
Retin A 0.05 ( wait 20 mins)
Glycolic Acid 15% cream
Moisturizer.

Morning
Azelaic Acid 20% cream ( wait 20 mins)
Glycolid Acid 15% cream

Sunscreen SPF 20+

wash the area twice with salicylic acid 2% face wash. I use Neutrogena face wash.

Retin A,Azelaic Acid and Glycolid Acid are bit of harsh and I felt very uncomfortable in the first month. My dermatologist advised me not to stop and continue because these are the safest medications to remove this. I hope it'll take about another three months to completely get rid from this. Also its compulsory to wear the sunscreen since the creams exfoliate the skin.
remedies for dark black lines on nose?
hey i also had the same problem ,but as i started keeping my skin clean i noticed it fading awy .Actully i have acne too.How i
Could you please tell the exact names of creams that you have suggested?

Azelaic Acid 20% cream
Retin A 0.05
Glycolic Acid 15% cream
Moisturizer.

Sunscreen SPF 20+

Salicylic acid 2% face wash (Neutrogena face wash will do right?)
Sorry if i misspelled your name ...im 13 years old and after a week(during summer)at the tennesse waterpark a line started to develop on my nose idk why or how im african american skin color im pretty mucha brown person :)).
ALL I WANT TO KNOW IF THERE IS A WAY TO GET RID OF IT ....Thank you plzz reply
The line on my nose is a light line not a dark one and to me i think it shifts across my nose from time to time i think?
still I'm doing treatments and the line has not completely gone away. Now my doctor use 50% glycolic acid treatments once a week. One thing I can say you is this line is not something that is on the surface this comes from the deep level, may be transverse nasal line or something like that.
I have the same problem. The dark line across my nose just appeared, about 5 years ago. I thought it was just me who was experiencing something like this. I've tried cocoa butter, Shea butter and other things. I'm not sure if the dark line was caused by thyroid problems or pregnancy. I hate it; it is the first thing I notice when I look in the mirror.
I'm ravi kumar I've same problem a black line in middle of my nose. Doctors say that this is hyperpigmentation this isn't any birth mark. But my mummy has this black line on her nose as well & her family members means my meternal family have the same problem. Doctors said it appeared due to ultrviloet rays of the sun. It can't remove completely & they were not sure that it might be reduce or might be not. I face embaracement just because of this. I've used BAN A TAN CREAM & TRETIN 0.025 CREAM. I was taking evion-100 MG medicines too. But I haven't seen any results yet. Please solve my problem. It can change my life & my marriage life too.
what did do us to get the black line off
I have a line across my nose as well, I notice my noise one day and it was just their maybe about 4-5 years ago, and yesterday at thanksgiving dinner at the table I notice a girl had one on her nose and the person is always African American so that's why today I tried to find answer on computer