Dermatology Expert Forum
Dark spots and dark area on my neck!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Dark spots and dark area on my neck!

Hello Doctor!The area on my neck seems to be really dark and I have two Dark spots on the upper left side of my neck and upper right side.It's been this way for about 4 months and doesn't seem to go away.The dark area on my neck was REALLY dry before i started putting healing ointment on it.That seemed to stop the dryness but the area on my neck is still dark.Do you know what's wrong with my neck and how I can get it to go away?Someone told me it might be from my shaving cream that i switched too a couple months ago so I stopped using it.I don't put anything on my neck except moisterizer because I don't want it to get dry again.My whole neck is dark as you can see in the pictures and you can see the really darkspot on my neck too on the left side.And my neck doesn't itch and isnt irritating at all and I know its not from the sun because im hardly ever in direct sunlight.The pictures are below.

http://i42.tinypic.com/mahruv.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/fedxc7.jpg
I suspect that you have eczema (the "dry" skin), and that the darker color is pigmentation that comes from inflammation.  This can last a long time(several months).  You need to see a doctor for definitive diagnosis and possible prescription of a cortisone-based cream to suppress the eczema when it flares up.  Then the extra pigmentation will be able to fade by itself.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff