Dark spots on legs
Hello Doctor.Good day.
I am 20 years old. I am from a Caribbean island. For a few years I have had dark spots on my legs. However, these are only on the lower leg, and to the outer side(not the inner side- that is clear, natural skin), and only on the lower half of the leg(where it was regularly exposed to the sun as a result of my school uniform.) I have researched sun spots and I know that it has nothing to do with that. Also my skin, on my legs especially, gets scarred very easily from insect bites, it takes months and months to disappear,hopefully if it does that.My mother has the same but its much worse and on much more of her leg. These dark marks are only present on my leg however, nowhere else. Is there anthing you can recommend ? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

This discussion is related to dark spots.

Dark spots on the skin may be due to moles, a fungal infection, or a post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. In your case, you have also noted that you frequently get insect bites on the lower extremities. The location of the dark pots and the history of insect bites may suggest that these two are associated. Insect bites cause inflammation. This triggers an itch scratch cycle that leads to scratching of the affected skin. This further aggravates the skin condition. What you have may be a case of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

Avoid picking on the spots. Wash with a mild cleanser such as Cetaphil. Apply vitamin E cream on the dark spots. This will help smoothen the skin and may have skin lightening properties. Mildly exfoliate using a mild exfoliant to remove dead skin. Do not exfoliate if an open wound or discharge is present.
Dear Doctor, I am from the Caribbean of African descent. My problem is that i have dark marks from cuts and mosquito bites that i sustained as a child and I am ashamed to wear shorts and Bath suits. Is there anything I can do to remove these marks? your help will be much appreciated.
pink blotches turning white like scars developed 3 more since recent sun exposure first one ive had about 4 months
My experience with invicible scars has been pretty great regarding this. I had dark spots too. Invicible cleared them out within a month. Even the traces are gone. The only problem that I faced was that it's not available at any store nearby. It can only be bought online