Darker skin color on my armpit

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Darker skin color on my armpit

My armpits are not the same color as the rest of my body.  It is considerably darker.  It looks like dirt that had been accumulated.  I've scrubbed, and scrubbed and scrubbed but it's not successful.  I know I'm allergic to deodorants.  Could this be because my skin reaction to aluminum in the deodorants?  What can I do to make the skin under my armpits light again.  I cannot wear any sleeveless or cap sleeves shirts at all.  It makes me self conscious.  Please help.  Thank you

This discussion is related to allergic reaction to deodorant?.
Avatar dr f tn

Dark underarms may be due to any of the following: constant rubbing against tight clothing, negative reactions to deodorants, improper washing, shaving, dead skin buildup, intake of androgen-based contraceptives, dark hair follicles, being overweight, genetics, or even systemic diseases such as diabetes.

In your case, it is highly possible that it is due to the deodorant you were using. Aside from avoiding these type of deodorants, here are some helpful remedies:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Dark-Underarms---Whats-The-Right-Underarm-Whitener?&id=1095651

Take care and regards.