Dermatology Expert Forum
Death by black carpet beetles.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Death by black carpet beetles.

Who ever heard of someone dying from a black carpet beetle attack.  Well, I may be the first documented case.  My search on the internet indicates that while they will eat almost anything, there is nothing about them eating human flesh.  

My problem started when about 10 black carpet beetles decided to make me their next meal. All the bites(burrowing) was on my head. So, after removing the beetles, I thought that maybe I was
O.K. and I was for a little while. I did some checking on the
internet and found that these small bugs might be dangerous.

To make a long story short, I have now ended up with the larvae
crawling around under the skin on my head and face. The doctors
I have seem to disbelieve this story, even though the evidence
is clearly visible on my face and head.

My problem is how to get rid of (kill) the larvae, and some how
try to make sure they do not come back. Any help comments etc.
will be greatly appreciated.
I am not familiar with larvae crawling around under the skin.  I am familiar with people who have delusions of larvae crawling around under the skin.  Such people usually scratch and gouge their skin in an effort to 'get the larvae out,' and point to the resulting skin trauma as evidence that the larvae must be in there.  Almost by definition, people with delusions don't believe it (and resent it) when doctors tell them there aren't any bugs in there.  Unless you work with your physicians to help rid you of these delusions, you aren't likely to get better.  There are medications that can help you.  They are usually prescribed by psychiatrists.  I hope you allow yourself to get the care you need.

Good luck.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank you for your comment. In my case the physical evidence is there
including facial scars, recent exit spots and more. If I don't solve this problrm,
I will  have more serious injury and and possibly death.
Right, but don't you think that if such a thing was really going on other people would see something unusual as well? Sometimes you just have to believe that maybe everyone else can't be wrong and look at getting the mental help you need.
I truly belive that black carpet beetles can get under your skin or hair, I have the same problem, I truly think I'm losing my mind and seeing little black specs in my hair and also in my kids hair.I dont know if these bugs can kill you but all I know is my carpet and furniture and bedding are infested and I seem to be the only one who see's it. Now that I viewed this comment on black carpet beetles,  I'm not the only one.
how about fleas in your kids' hair?  

are you people on drugs?  bugs crawling under your skin?
I once saw an episode of "Stories of the ER" on the Discovery Health Channel in which a person had the same problem. The doctors actually removed living insects from the patients head/scalp.  The patient had been overseas within the previous 6 months and was infected with a parasite.  It can really happen.  
I live in the desert (southwest). I have been doing extensive research on bugs as my tiny condo is infested. I have recently sent several specimens into an entomologist at a state university.The most recent e-mail described larvae of carpet beetle. Although, I doubt that you can die from this infestation, it certainly can make your skin crawl in a literal way. I, too, have experienced an outbreak of "rashes" and many tiny bites.  

I was in nursing for almost twenty years and med-mal for six. Physician's do commonly imply that anything outside their understanding is a psychological or psychiatric problem.  

Many people around the world live with bugs of all shapes and sizes.  I have lived in three foreign countries and have never experienced anything like what I am finding here. Many pests are difficult to eradicate without toxic measures, which too, can be harmful to one's physical and emotional health.

This is not to suggest that an "anti-anxiety" medication would not be useful yet, there comes a time when no prescribed psychiatric medication will solve problems like sewer cockroaches, drain flies, bedbugs, lice, or vermin.

Are we to "medicate" children as well?

I have also had a problem with carpet beetles.  About a dozen or so somehow got into my apartment and attacked both my face and arms while sleeping,  I also thought the problem was resolved until I noticed the larvae under my skin hatching from the eggs that left behind.  I now have the scars to prove it.  All this is just the beginning of my problems however.  One beetle laid its eggs under the skin of my penis and I believe now that I have infeceted a few woman while having sexual intercourse.  Is this the start of a new sexual disease?  
A related discussion, Not on drugs was started.
A related discussion, carpet beetles under scalp? was started.
A related discussion, I Just Had (No, Still Have) a Carpet Bug Infestation was started.