Dermatology Expert Forum
Deep Skin itch in legs

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Deep Skin itch in legs

I have an issue with my legs, I do wear long socks and boots all day, I have a slight iron deficiency and have people in my family with diabetes but I haven't shown signs. I have heard that these can be things that can cause it. In my calf and shins I will have a deep itch, It doesn't feel like a normal itch, I get more relief from pinching or using my knuckles to rub hard on my skin. It will stop for a moment then just continue more. Sometimes this itch feels more painful than just itchy. It's at it's worst when I go to relax at night. I just have to force myself to ignore it. Lately it has gotten to be too much though. I am trying to find out if anyone can tell me what this might be. I don't want to just go to the doctor because I am in the military.
Thanks for posting your query.

From your symptoms of itchy skin without any rash, it is important to rule out parasthesia skin and restless leg syndrome. If the skin is thick and leathery then neurodermatitis would be an important possibility.

Parasthesia due to dysfunctioning of neurons which can be due to diabetes, hypothyroidism, peripheral vascular disease, vitamin B12 deficiency, neurological causes or malnutrition. Since you have a family history of diabetes, it needs further evaluation.

You can take vitamin B 12 supplements for some days. Foods rich in vitamin B 12 like meats and poultry can also be taken. Also get your blood sugar levels and thyroid hormone levels checked.

Restless leg syndrome causes an uncomfortable, "itchy," "pins and needles," or "creepy crawly" feeling in the legs. The sensations are usually worse at night.

Consult a dermatologist and get these causes ruled out.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.