Deep facial itch

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Deep facial itch

I have had an itch along my jawline  for about a year.  My derm has given me at least 6 different meds-none of which works. The itch is not constant but only at times-once or twice a week.  It is so severe I want to scratch my face off. A hair blowing aginst my face, or the air from a fan or sometimes when I eat at night will set it off.  It lasts for about an hour at most.  Sometimes when we are playing Yahtzee at night with a snack (any kind) it will set it off. I am almost at the end of my wits and my toleration.  I have forced myself to stop scratching but this has not helped.  It seems to be very deep in my face--not actually on the skin.  I do not have a rash unless it is so severe I cannot stop scratching.  My new (second opinion) derm has suggested a biopsy but does not want to put me through it because of my age (81). It is not one of the common rashes one hears about, such as preuritis, eczema, allergy. etc.  Can anyone help me?
One of the possibilities for your symptoms is of neurodermatitis. Neurodermatitis develops when nerve endings in the skin become irritated, triggering a severe itch-scratch-itch cycle. Common causes of nerve irritation include an insect bite and emotional stress. I suggest you to get an examination done from a dermatologist of the symptoms persist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers