Demodex

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Demodex

Does nobody know about Demodex the eyelash mite?  It lives in the hair follicles on human hair.  Most people have some on them, they reproduce and can become overpopulated and cause rash or hair loss.  They do migrate on  the body but usually stay on the face.  They are diagnosed by a skin scraping.  My grandson had a rash on his face and Demodex was diagnosed.  there is a different type of Demodex mite that causes mange on a dog.  

This discussion is related to I definitely have some sort of bug/mite/flea infestation..
Tags: invisible bugs, demodex, demodex mites
Demodex mites live inside the sebaceous glands and hair follicles, sucking nutrients from the hair roots and damaging the cell walls. It can cause itching, crawling sensation on the face or (and) in the scalp and sometimes there are no symptoms. At a further stage, acne can develop, after some time, the facial skin can become red in places.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.