Dermatomyositis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dermatomyositis

I have a confirmed diagnosis of Dermatomyositis  (Marshfield Clinic and Mayo Clinic).  I have been living with this disease for at least 4 years.  It is thought I have had it for a longer period of time but it only became full blown about 4 years ago.  I have been on Prednesone all of this time but now down to 10 mg. a day.  About 2 months ago I started breaking out on my hands with the rash, etc. that comes with Dermatomyositis.  It is becoming more uncomfortable and sensitive.  What I would like to know is if there is a cream or lotion that can help in relieving the discomfort.  Thank you for any suggestions.
Hi I'm Nadia 31 living with Dermatomyositis for almost 8 yrs. I've use olive oil on my skin for all 8 yrs and it works. Also my doctor gave a cream care Elidel this is sooo good. Good luck to you and I wish everything goes well in your life.By the way don't think that this is the end my entire body is covered with burn mark from the strong medrol iv that was giving back in 2001, all my hair and eyebrow was gone and the doctor told to go home with my meds and take alot of morfine for the pain now I'm still living and 5 1/2 months pregnant wish my doctor now is so confuse LOL God bless you
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Aside from medication, physical therapy, exercise, heat therapy, orthotics and assistive devices, and rest all help.  Many individuals with dermatomyositis may need a topical ointment, such as topical corticosteroids, for the skin disorder.   Skin disease is exacerbated by sunlight and other sources of ultraviolet light. Sunscreens and sun protective measures are helpful in avoiding flares of the disease.

Each individual has its specific course for this condition. Regular follow-up with your doctor is important as well as to evaluate the rash from 2 months back. Proper management is then advised in accordance with your symptoms.

Take care and keep us posted.