Disappearing Reappearing rash
My young son has small rash patches that almst look like small hives, with redness around the raised welts and warm almost hot to the touch.  The stange thing is that these patches appear suddenly, and then disappear just as suddenly, generally in under 30 minutes.  The patches appear on his face, arms, legs, and torso, even a couple on his scalp.  This has been going on for 48 hours, and there does not seem to be any discernible trigger.  No new soaps of foods.  While he does have excema and has had allergic reactions before, this is most unusual for him.  The combination of Bendaryl and Hydrocortisone cream seems to give him some relief from the itching during the worst outbreaks, but nothing seems to work to cure it all together.  Please, do you have any idea what might cause this?
Get him cultured for MRSA bacteria.  It sounds similar to what I had which tested positive for MRSA.  Even a topical swab culture proved positive for this very nasty super bug.  
It can't be MRSA because the welts do not last long enough.  None of them last longer than 30minutes, and he has had no sores or open wounds, no pus.
My two year old has been getting strange rash like patches. It sounds simmilar to what you experienced.  The rash is often in the form of lines, circles, zig zags, or any other wierd shape.  They are very random and quick to come and go.  I plan on taking him to the doc but this has been going on for days and I am wondering how serious this rash is.
Hives are an itchy skin rash triggered by an irritant. They can show up anywhere on your child's body, from the skin to the inside of his mouth, and vary in size from 1/16 inch in diameter to many inches across. Hives, also known as urticaria or wheals, can pop up in one area, fade, and appear in a totally different place within a matter of hours.

An episode of hives can be over in a few hours, but most take about 48 hours to completely disappear. Some stubborn cases may even last a few weeks.
Common triggers include food allergies, drugs, viruses, insect bites and stings, plants, exercise, heat, and cold.  Many times, you and your doctor will be unable to identify the exact cause.

You can use cool compresses or a cool bath to reduce irritation and itching, but since hives are a reaction to histamine, antihistamines are usually the most effective treatment.

Give Benadryl every 6 hours until the hives fade. Continue the medication, spacing the doses farther and farther apart, until you are sure the hives are no longer a problem.
The side effect of these medications is drowsiness. Hydrocortisone cream is not necessary and should not be used indiscriminately because of its associated side effects.

ref:http://www.myonlinewellness.com/topic/hiveschild