Dermatology Expert Forum
Discolored skin or possible Fungus

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Discolored skin or possible Fungus

I have developed white, discolored patches on my back, which is now "spreading" to my arms, mid-section of my chest and upper forearm.

Any time I'm tanning or in the sun, these patches tend to turn a pinkish-red color, then turn back to a white-ish color.

I have been tanning at a local tanning salon for the past several years and have been told that this is some type of "fungus" that has been "caught" from the tanning beds not being properly disinfected.

I have been advised by the tanning salon owner to use any type of dandruff shampoo on the infected area(s) and not to tan for a least a week.  That should take care of it.  Guess what? It didn't help any.

This discoloring has now taken its course to my entire back.

Please advise what it could be and what I could do to take care of it....

Thank you,

Greg
Greg:

Sounds like you have tinea versicolor,a noncontagious fungus which grows on the chest and back of young people and makes the skin color temporarily lighter or darker.  Even after you kill all the fungus, the color change can hang around for months.

My advice is to see a dermatologist about a single does oral treatment for this: it's safe, and you can't miss a spot.

The fungus is not from the tanning salon.  Tanning just makes the discoloration more obvious.

Best.

Dr. R
I AM A 20 YEAR OLD FEMALE WITH NO KIDS AND I HAVE A STRECTH MARKS ON MY BACK SOME OR WHITE AND THEY JUST KEEP SPREADING AND WON'T GO AWAY IS THERE ANY MEDICATION OR SURGERY I CAN TAKE TO GET RID OF IT. IF SURGERY, HOW MUCH DOES IT COST? WHAT KIND OF DOCTOR DO I NEED TO CONSULT WITH ABOUT THIS?
My husband and I have developed these small red circular patches on the skin.  They started out on his calves then spread to our elbows.  I don't have it so bad but his elbows are now largely covered by this rash/fungus.  We've tried every anti fungal cream on the market.  Nothing has worked.  They are embarassing and itchy.  What can we do?
I have the exact same thing as Greg stated.  I have had this for like 9 years after I too went to a tanning bed and thought it was also "caught" from there.  I went to several dermatologists and to no avail also. I apply selsun blue to the area, and it looks fine and then gets back to the same or worse.  Thanks for your insight to this Dr. as I was about to give up.  

Thank you,
Michelle
I have dark patches on my face.  It seems like I have extra pigmentation under my eyes and cheeks and above my lip area.  This seems to be spreading to other areas of my face.  It seems to get worse after swimming and exposure in the sun without any cover up.  I have had this for the past few years but within the last 6-12 months I have definately noticed it spreading.  Do you have any suggestions as to how I can get rid of this.
I have dark patches on my face.  It seems like I have extra pigmentation under my eyes and cheeks and above my lip area.  This seems to be spreading to other areas of my face.  It seems to get worse after swimming and exposure in the sun without any cover up.  I have had this for the past few years but within the last 6-12 months I have definately noticed it spreading.  It does not itch nor cause pain but it's quite obvious. Do you have any idea what it is and any suggestions as to how I can get rid of this.
I have had a rash all on my back, arms, the backs of my knees for at least 12 years.I am now 27, and am miserable. I have been to doctors that tell me it is fungus. I have done all the shampoos, pills, creams with little effect on my skin. I can  not go through a day without taking Benedryl to ease the itching, I only wear  certain clothes because of comfort reasons. I am a active person and I am tired of letting this fungus limit my life. Do you have any idea what I can do?
Since the age of 13, I have had these black spots all over my face and back. They also itch real bad. I was told that they'd probably go away after adulthood, I am now 25.What should I do. They look very ugly. And are only getting worse with the achne (acne).Please give me advice!
hsfhddhfkdhfshfkjfbdkhdfkkkate
my name  is Daniel and i have black spots on my face, around my nose and mouth, my Dermatologist says its a fungus and gave me a cream called dakacort but it did no work can u help me with this and also i get a lot of razor bumps when i shave can u help with this also
A related discussion, rash on knees was started.
A related discussion, pigmentation on feet and lower legs was started.