Dermatology Expert Forum
Discolored spots spreading from my neck.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

I have been having dicolored spots on my next, they appear to be spreading down toward my chest area.
I am hoping anyone could identify this type of skin discoloring. I have pictures available.

Thank you so much.
Thanks for posting your query.

I have seen the photographs and the symptoms are suggestive of pityriasis versicolor. It is a fungal disease caused by a type of yeast that naturally lives on your skin. When the yeast grows out of control, the skin disease, which appears as a rash, is the result.

The spots may disappear during cool weather and get worse during warm and humid weather and appears as light or dark patches on face or chest which do not tan with exposure to sun.

Topical antifungal treatment has been found to be quite helpful and anti-fungal topical products containing ingredients such as zinc, pyrithione, selenium sulfide, miconazole, clotrimazole, and terbinafine are available which you can use. Try treating that with clotrimazole twice a day for 2 weeks under your doctor’s supervision.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.