Discolouration around mouth...?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Discolouration around mouth...?

3801823?1230066510
I have a really dark area around the corner of my mouth - it's quite large on one side of my mouth.
It's not on the lips or on the upper lip (moustache area).

It's really noticeable.
Is it because of the chapped lips I had?

It isn't sore/painful.

What can I/should I use?
I have some Bio-Oil at home - would scar treatments help?

Or is it some sort of pigmentation thing?

I've read around a bit and many products contain Hydroquinone...

Most well-advertised products don't specify if this is suitable for my problem.

Has anyone had/treated this problem?

(I have ringed the problem areas in the photo.)

Thanks, for your time, concern and advice.

It can be due to lip licking, Vit.B2 deficiency, smoking, overexposure to sun or post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

The treatment includes various skin creams like hydroquinone, azelaic acid, corticosteroids, tretinoin cream and laser treatment.Apply hydroquinone cream on this scar and it should go away in a few days to months.If it still persists then you can go in for laser treatment, Chemical peeling or microdermabrasion.

Also take some vit B12 supplements and avoid lip licking.Also apply a good lip balm and sunscreens with spf 30 atleast half an hour before going out in sun.

If still the symptoms do not improve then pls get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.Bacterial and fungal infections have to be ruled out.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

Thank you for your advice

I'll try some skin bleaching/scar treatment products.
Hydroquinone has been banned in the UK, where I live, so I'll probably stay away from it.

What strength B12 supplements do you recommend?

My local store will have 100µg, 500µg, and 1000µg. They are all in pill form and recommend one pill daily.

Thanks again.
can anyone recommend a product? Preferably not too expensive.

Thanks.

Bio-Oil?
Dr. Varon's Scar Treatment?
Hi ray,

Don't use any bleaching creams right now and you certainly don't need scar treatment.  The discoloration will mostly likely fade by itself in a few weeks up to several months.  Just use a hypogenic moisturizer with spf 30 on your skin and shea butter/bees wax lip balm in order to keep your lips moist so you don't instinctively lick your lips.

Drink a bit more water, take vitamin B pills especially B-2, and if you sleep on your side try sleeping on your back because drooling at night can cause an infection of the corners of your mouth especially this time of year.

Just keep the area moisturized and don't do anything to further irritate it.  Lets us know how it progresses.
I am 16 years old, asian girl have the exact same symtom. There is discoloration at the corner of my lips streaching dowm toward the bottom of my face. There is no pain or itch. It feels normal. The only sign that i have is the discoloration. I don't remember having it as a kid but the pigment is starting to get darker and more noticable as I age. I don't think it come from any makeup or any products that  am using now because it it was there before.

I am using proactive right now (i have mild acne).
Do you think the Proactive is too strong and might irritate the area more? Will whitening product helps?

Thank you so much.
Hi Ray,

I too have the same issue, Is ur problem resolved.If yes what did u do to cure.Please update
i have discolouration either side of my lips too, but i'm pretty sure i got it from some foundation i used a year ago....I used it a couple days in a row, and before i knew it my forehead, nose, chin etc. started flaking and peeling. i stopped using it as it also began to sting my face, but as i said, it's left me with this skin discolouration and it hasn't gone away.
Can anyone help?

Thanks so much!
hi. I know this post is quite old now but this is the only thing i can find that fits the description of what i have too. I've tried bleaches, at home microdermabrasion kits and nothing! i've had it for about 6 years now and first noticed it after a visit to the dentist. at first i thought it was because my mouth was stretched open for so long and at one point they placed a warm instrument to my face, but i was partially numbed so it could have been hot, but it's not a burn scar. does anyone else's get dry and ashy sometimes? or change color? sometimes it's so light it's almost unnoticeable other times it's reddish brown instead of just brown. also i have not been on any medications at the time it first appeared. I don't lick my lips and I moisturize. any new updates would be appreciated
i hav d same problem can anyone pls post abt wats d rite solution if it worked for uz....thanx
My 15 year old son just developed similar dark spots (rather larger and darker than the picture of ratboy21). My son's came about the same time as a fever, general body aches and fatigue. I'm not sure if the other symtoms (symptoms) are related or not. But did you ever find anything to make your discoloration go away?

OMG i have the exact same thing, can somebody please tell me if hydroquinone will help. PLEASE i'm tired of these things, i want to get rid of them.
could you please send me, in brief, the details of what products have you tried so far as I may have a solution for your skin problem.

I had the same problem.
Facial exercises will help. It is mainly due to lack of blood flow in that region.
And also avoid groundnut oil,palm oil and any unrefined oil in your food intake. This will help you lose those marks in a week.
I had the same problem.
I had the same problem.
I have the same thing. I've had it for years. Never tried hydroquinone, I hear that it causes cancer? I've been using Queen Helene Cocoa Butter Creme. It's pretty thick and greasy, but it has cleared up some of the lighter acne spots but the spots at the corner of my lips have only changed to slightly lighter. I've been using this cream for about a month and hope it makes a difference in the log run.
Hi! I have that same marks and they do get ashy and flaky and red, and sometimes, they itch. I have had them since I was like 12 years-old and now I'm 30. I do not lick my lips, I use a sunscreen, I moisture my skin, I have lost weight, and even have used hydroquinone creams and retin-a without any results. Sometimes, these marks get darker and I think it's kind of an hormonal issue, but I have asked many gynecologists and none of them has been capable of giving me an answer.

I have only seen one person with the same problem and it was a girl, but her marks were bigger and darker than mine and also, from time to time her marks looked darker and bigger, that's why I think this problem has to do with hormones. Her marks went from the corner of her mouth to the lower part of her chin and very wide. Also, her skin tone was darker than mine (my skin tone is light brown, I'm mexican and have the average skin tone!).  
I am shocked this is a board to help such ailments but no one has an answer. I am also double shocked scientists have not made a multitude of safe products to get rid of DROOL marks. The beauty industry is huge and so many people suffer from this including myself. Saliva is causing your mouth discoloration. Also chap stick will cause this too. It seems permanent and unsightly. Ive tried lemons, potato's, retinol, 10 kinds of moisturizers, sleeping on my back which let's face it cannot be done enough to stop drooling. You HAVE to roll over eventually. The more products I try the darker it gets. I feel Ive only made the matter worse. Ive heard Meladerm works so plan to try it next. Not only is there no resolution to it but I have so many questions about it. Like why does it never go away? Why has there not been more warnings about DROOL to your face? If I had known sooner like 20 years ago now at 43 I would'nt be facing this hideous problem when I am trying to maintain my youthfulness. Not only do we need something that works, but works quickly! No one wants to invest in a product for 3 months to find it only slightly lightens it. I cannot stop drooling. I am doomed to looking like a puppet.
This is definitely due to hormone imbalance. I am having it for the past 12 years. Sometimes it becomes too dark, especially just few days before periods starts and just goes off after the periods. I am not sure what I should do. I tried to include a lot of fruits and vegetables in my diet.. and drink a lot of water. I dont see any change...:(
Your wrong. You can clearly see in the picture that they are saliva marks and possibly over exposure to the sun. I have the exact same marks and mine are from sitting in front of aquarium lights all day + drooling while I sleep. Please anyone is there any spot treatment that can be done cost effectively?
i have exactly the same problem, what will i do? it's really not comfortable it just appeared a week ago, can someone please help me?was you're problem solved? please share i badly need it
Same problem here but i managed to reduce the darkening by using ''sheep placenta cream'' you can search it on google its preety cheap and i research about this problem too and i re'd a blog that say the reason why this darkening occur's is because of the lack or slow of blood flow in these mouth areas the blogger advice's is that you just have to massage these areas so that the blood flow will be normal again. i did both a long time ago..... putting a lotion in the dark area in my mouth and massaging them and that's how i manage to reduce the darkening..... i hope this advice helps......and please stay to update us best of luck

Here's the link of the ''mouth area massage advice blog"-http://www.wiseshe.com/2010/09/beauty-tip-darkness-around-mouth-photo.html

hi,i am 19 ,i have a problem of dark patches around my mouth ,i feel so sad about it, please suggest some tips....
Nut oil?  How is that causing the issue?  I recently changed some things in my diet, and cook with almond oil some and drink almond milk instead of dairy.  Could this be the cause of the discoloration around my mouth?
I actually tried using hydroquinone on my lips and around it, some say its dangerous but i dont care.

Anyways i used it for 1week only, lip corner dont seem to lighten as fast as areas on and around the lips. I realised need to apply it directly on the black patches and not rub it all over. I almost had a white ring around my mouth. Nevertheless it did lighten, just that i am not sure if it will be completely gone. I would actually love to get some safer creams to try but so far did not really find any so this is the best bet. I used 4% and its very strong so need to monitor closely where it lightens. I dont want having white and black spots around my moutht that looks even uglier~~

treatment of hyperpigmentation around lip
i learned from different websites about hyperpigmentation around lip.i got 2 things for treatmant chemical peel and revoderm cream.Is anyone use these things tell me plz about result and effectivness.
hi, i dont know the science behind this but i have experienced something like this. for me it keeps coming and going so many times and all i did was put some petroleum jelly but it would never work.. i have tried so manyyy home made mixtures like honey with turmeric powder and brown sugar but nothing seemed to work and this time since i was abroad in a cold country for almst 3 years and came back home to a very humid country it really affected the corner of my lip (just one) and overall lips were dry and itchy and later on the same corner started getting paper like cuts which were very painful and the corner became dark and skin started peeling off. i researched a lot online and tried so many home made remedies but nothing worked.. tried petroleum jelly, made it worst and then i read the science behind and its something to do with some bacteria forming onto the skin due to the humidity and the drooling ( that is if you drool - there are high chances). i dont drool a lot but jst a little bit and the corners of my lips are always wet. what i did was first thing i washed my lips and scrubbed for 30 seconds approx (it might burn) withit hand soap that is antibacterial and then wipe it with a clean cloth or a tissue and make sure its completely dry. then i put this cream (dermovate) only in the corner of my lip and a little towards my lower lip where there were two veryyy tiny zit like things which were painful also and then i left it on for as long as i could until i have to have a meal or do something else and you must make sure its always dry and you dont drool at all esp when the cream is on, if you do, get it off and start again, wash it with the soap, put the cream and relax. i did that the whole day at least 3 to 4 times and then later in the evening i would put ghee (google it) its oil but i dont know whats its called in english.. it was very relieving and moisturizing on my lip.. once i feel its dry, i would go and wash again with soap and re apply, and once its time for bed, id put the cream again and go to sleep. i did this for two days and my lips became so smooth, the darkness is gone, the dryness is gone, the zits are gone, the itchiness, the burning is gone, however the lips are still a little dry because of the weather here so i would suggest to continue put ghee for another week and if you have a problem of getting dark corners all the time (for me almost 8 years now) then whenever you're home just put some ghee on on your lips to keep them moist. it might get so much better that you might not even need to apply anything on your lip. i know this really long but i just wanted to share my experience with everyone and wouuld be happy if it helps anyone :)

imp: keep the saliva off the corner of your lips please, i believe thats the main cause, jst suck it in and if you cant then wipe it off with a tissue

ps: be careful with what products go on your lips, and if you use face washes make sure they dont go on your lips, some times they can be harsh for your lips. plus drink lots of water and have lots of fruits and veges!
I have the same problem. I saw a dermatologist. He advised me skin patch testing. Got that done and found myself allergic to a chemical Benzalkonium Chloride (a preservative in skin care products, wipes and eye drops). I was given the list of safer cosmetics for my skin. Changed all of them. I use only Neutrogena soap for face. I can only use pepsodent as my toothpaste etc etc. Still I do not see any change. The area is lighter in morning and gets darker during the day. I have this for 2 years now. It started with a cold sore around one corner of my lip and now spread till next corner below the lips and some on top. Please advice.
The spot is due to over exposure to rays of computer, specially laptop. Just don't use it for a month and see the result.
Hi Ratboy, did u find any solution to this problem. I am suffering from the same from last 7 years...
im having the same probelm i have back spot on both corners of my lips had it for 3 years.. now its getting worser i went to a dermatologist like two weeks ago he gave me some cream called ketoconazole it started working then 2 sayd later black spots start coming on my lips.. and its making me look so ugly everybody keep noticing it and keep commenting on it im feeling down about my self .. I NEED HELP BEFORE IT SPREAD WORSER ON MY LIPS please some help me.............
dear madam, i have pigmentation around my lips above my chin please help me out. Hope for early response.
I have the same problem it's been almost 2 years since I started noticing a black spot on the side of my lips. I went to a dermatologist, he prescribed me hydroquinone. I felt that it wasn't working and thinking that it's just going away in due time but it never did it actually spread around the upper border of my lips and the lower border so now its all around the mouth area while the black spots on the side are getting bigger and bigger. I went to a different dermatologist again and she gave me her products, it doesn't seem to work, but at least it stopped the spreading. I have also been to one skin peel appointment but nothing so far. Can anyone offer some advice? This problem has been stressing me out and has caused me a lot of self confidence. I especially hate it when people ask, when family gatherings occur I don't like to interact with my relatives coz its so embarrassing being asked why I have something that looks like a mustache... :(
Thanks for your post. It was given me renewed hope that someday I will get rid of these spots which have haunted me from my teens to my twenties . I did try applying ghee as I felt , this problem is primarily due to excess heat and dryness in the body but saw no change . I don't drool and dint realize that could also be a factor for this. I did have permanent  braces when I started getting these spots 4yrs ago. Tired everything even treatment for hormonal imbalance which most of the doctors claimed to be the cause along with impurities in the blood. Will apply ghee and see if it works for me too. thanks again :)
Yes, I think it is hormonal. I haven't always had this problem, but I notice it happens before my cycle starts. The dark spots start fading afterwards. I only notice the spots when I have really bad months of pms.
Its due to drug reaction if your are taking any pain killers or cold and flu drugs in which (ibuprofen) is present immediately stop taking those drugs.
unfortunately there are no cures for this at present but if you stop using them slowly they will fade off.