Do I have a fungus on my fingers and hands?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I have been trying to find an answer to what is happening to my fingers. They split and become hard and crusty on the tips of my fingers and also have been coming on the palm of my hands. I have tried lots of skin creams the pharmasist have recommended. It seemed one cream was working but in the last week, my skin has started cracking again. I cover my hands when I shower and try to keep my hands dry. Yesterday I started using vinegar on my fingers to see if that would do anything and then put the cream on. I don't have any feeling in my finger tips where the skin is hard and crusty until they crack open and hurt really bad. Is this a fungus condition?

Various possibilities for such symptoms are trauma and allergic or irritant contact dermatitis like washing dishes without wearing gloves,contact with harsh detergents,soaps and lotions that contain perfume can cause hands and fingers to become irritated.Sometimes cold, dry air and dermatitis or fungal infections can also cause peeling. In your case I feel that it can be due to eczema or contact dermatitis.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin.Symptoms can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.Also apply a mild steroid cream like dermacort on the hands. During the day, hydrate and protect hands with a protective and moisturizing cream. At night, repair them with creams formulated from glycolic acid. For a more intensive nighttime treatment, apply cream and then cover hands with gloves or socks.Also wear gloves while doing household work.

If still the symptoms do not improve then pls get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. Fungal infections have to be ruled out then.

Hope it helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.
You may have EK (Exfoliative Keratolysis) .. excessive skin peeling on hands, and feet ... Someone on this site recommended AUGMENTED BETAMETHASONE DIPROPIONATE CREAM (.05%) ...saying it has been the only thing that has worked!! I asked my doctor for some and she was right .. it WORKS!!!  I have been using it for almost a week, and it is almost gone. It'a a miracle. I want to tell everyone!!  If you have EK, get this stuff. It is the cure.  I understand EK can re-occur so I am assuming I will have a tube on hand forever. But right now after trying steriod creams, cortaids, and various fungle creams for three years with no cure .. it is EXCITING to have found something that really actually works!!  Go get some!!