Do I have eczema?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Do I have eczema?

About a month ago I noticed two spots growing on my face--one on my cheek and another one on top of my eyebrow (both on the same side of my face). They were red and small so I thought they were just tiny pimples that would eventually go away. However, after several days, they started growing in diameter (about the size of a pencil eraser, the one on my eyebrow is a bit bigger) and was as red as ever. They also itched a little bit, were scaly and peeling and were sticky to the touch. They are also more on the flat side rather than raised. What could they be???

I went to my dermatologist and she prescribed Elica ointment. After about five days of applying the ointment, the spots went away and just left pale pink flat marks that were barely visible. However, the other night, I woke up and the spot on my cheek was itching again and later on the one on my eyebrow followed. They are not as bad as before, just very red and it seems like there are very tiny bumps on the spots (kind of like whiteheads).

So I decided to apply the Elica again but I'm afraid I'm just making the symptoms go away and not the root cause. My dermatologist said it could be eczema or fungus. I wanna try to find out on my own before I go back and spend more money. By the way, I have two cats which I regularly bathe. They sleep in my bedroom but I've had them for years without any effects on my skin.

What could these be???

Thanks!
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers