Dermatology Expert Forum
Do I have herpes?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Do I have herpes?

I am a 30 year old married woman. My husband had an affair several months ago. My visit to my gynecologist did not turn up any STDs. Yesterday morning in the shower, I felt a bump inside of my labia. Last night I decided to pop it (I know that's not good, but it was hurting like a son of a gun).  Initially greenish-yellowish pus came out before white pus oozed.

Is this something that is common with herpes or does it sound more like an ingrown hair? I want to believe that it's an ingrown hair, but women (including myself) generally don't have "hair" inside their labia.

Now it's starting to itch slightly.  It has been hot out here and I am sexually active with my husband.  He has not had any signs of herpes.

Am I doomed or what?  What should/could I do?  
Do herpes blisters generally contain pus or clear fluid like that of a blister?

Help me!
Bumps that hurt and drain pus sound like infected follicles, hot herpes, so I think you should be OK.

As to your basic concern, I advise you to have both yourself and your husband tested for herpes 2 antibodies (unless you've both already done this.)  If he's negative after all this time, you can stop being concerned that he got herpes, at least from that affair.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
The liquid in a herpes blister is clear, not greenish-yellowish pus. Does not sound like herpes (based off of all the research I have done).

However, he can have herpes without showing any signs of it and he can still infect you. Studies have shown that 90% of the people who has genital herpes do not know they have it. You should have protected sex until he gets a Igg HerpesSelect (make sure you ask for this test) to be sure. You should take one as well. He (and you) need to wait at least 90 to 120 days after exposure to get a definitive test result.

You should also take an HIV test. You need to take one after 12 weeks for your test results to be definitive.

Good luck!!

http://www.pbase.com/image/31808376/original

I've been tested for herpes twice by blood tests that distinguish between types 1 & 2.  They came back negative.  Negative too for chlaymidia and ghonorrea.  Normal vag pap, they said.  Yet I still have these painful skin splits/scrapes on my vulva once every few months right before my period.  If it's not herpes (and all the tests say no), then what is it?
HEY IM A 18 YEAR OLD MALE AND I THINK I MAY HAVE HERPES. IM GOIN TO GET TESTED SOON BUT I JUST WANT AN ANSWER QUICKER. I HAVE LIKE A RATHER SMALL REDISH RASH ON THE HEAD OF THE PENIS AND A LITTLE ON THE FORSKIN BENEATH THE HEAD. IT'S NOT ITCHY OR ANYTHING AND NO BUMPY. I DECIDED TO PUT ALCOHAL (alcohol) ON IT AND IT BURNED LIKE A M/F BUT I NEVER PUT ALCOHAL (alcohol) ON MY PENIS BEFORE SO I DIDNT KNOW IF IT WAS NORMAL, BUT THE RASH ALMOST DISAPEARED BUT I DONT KNOW WHETHER IT WOULD COME BACK AGAIN AS I READ AS HERPES DOES. SO SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT HERPES OR COULD IT POSSIBLEY BE SOMETHING ELSE?
it sounds like it could be herpes I am 23 years old and I just found out I have herpes and genital warts which I caught from my boyfriend. It is really painful. I hear alot of people say lotts of people don't know they have it ..thats BS it hurts to walk and sit..puss will come out without popping it. For guys it's a little harder to tell vecause the bumps are alot smaller ...well I've done alot of reaserch so if any questions feel free to ask it would kinda be nice to talk to someone about this