Doctor Answer Needed About Elidel!!
I read on the internet from multiple sources, that TCI's do not cause skin thinning or the side effects associated with steroid ointments, which is why it's usually used. However, one website I read stated that Elidel does not thin the skin "as much as" steroid creams do! So which is it for sure? Does it, or does it NOT thin the skin in any way?
Atrophy which is associated with topical steroids is not seen with pimecrolimus, whose structure is not steroid based.
It is this factor that makes pimecrolimus have advantage over potent steroids in conditions where they are indicated.
Best wishes.

Thanks for the response! So what effect would Elidel have on normal skin that is already thin?And  I mean if it was used on skin that did not actually have dermatitis (for just 2 weeks twice daily), would it have done any harm?
Certainly nothing to do with atrophy there in your given situation, and possibly no damage,- but then these drugs need to be prescribed and with caution bearing in mind long term side effects (which of course does not include atrophy).
Best wishes.
Thanks again, you seem to be very knowlegable about this Elidel. However, what exactly are these long term side effects you speak of? And would only two weeks use put me at risk for that? The doctor told me that the cancer warning by the FDA was" bogus" and held no credible evidence. For your information: I used Elidel for 12 days for what was thought to be dermatitis on my penis head, although I noticed no improvement after this time and therefore discontinued its use. It didn't seem to have made the skin worse, atleast as far as I can tell! Also, in your opinion, was this too long to use it without seeing any benefit or should I not be so concerned?
My feeling is that you are worried about a hypothetical problem.No worries there.
Cheers!
That is good to hear & I understand that I probably am. However just in case, what exactly are the "long term side effects" that you had previously mentioned?