Does diet help? What's the best way to fight this awful toenail fu...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Does diet help? What's the best way to fight this awful toenail fungus?

Firstly, I wish you a very good day!

My question is, could a diet help to get rid of nail fungus? If so, what kinds of food to avoid?
Although there is some information on this subject on the internet, but mostly very general.
I understand that it's good to avoid sugar, but that would also mean no bread, potatoes, rice or pasta etc.
I've had nail fungus for few years now and I'm so ashamed of it. I would go on any diet that would stop feeding this horrible fungus and eventually kill it, even if it had to be for several months. I don't now if that would help though?

It's the smallest toe that's affected the most and with funguus it shrank so badly and it was so tiny and horrible and there are sings of fungus on the one next to it.
I already took some oral medicine (similar to Lamisil, also contained terbinafine but it was some cheaper brand) and it seemed like it was getting a bit better, but after 3 months when I stoped the medicine it started worsening again. Then
I tried tea tree oil and same results, the nail gets a bit bigger, starts growing out again on the sides even though a bit thiner, but the rest of the nail does not loose this horrible texture, streaks and yellowish colour.

I feel so helpless and desperate!

Would it be worth it to go and try the oral treatment again ( the first one was 3 years ago)? Is it not too much stress for the liver?
Could it perhaps work: oral treatment + creams + good diet?

I would, from the bottom of my heart, appreciate some good advise  This fungus drives me crazy and I'm willig to do anything.....anything to get rid of it.

Looking forward to some good advise, thank you.
Barbara

Fungal nail infections(Onchomycosis) may be difficult to treat and may recur often. Toenails are affected more often than fingernails. The risk of getting a fungal infection is increased by closed-in footwear, prolonged moist skin, and minor skin or nail injuries.Athlete’s foot and diabetes may also help aggravate it.Treatment includes topical anti fungal creams or gel.Diet does not seem to play such an important role.Also get your blood sugar levels estimated.

In my opinion,pls get it evaluated by a podiatrist and then start with the treatment. Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted on how you are doing.

Thank you very much for your answer.
What kind of socks and shoes can I wear best in winter months to keep my feet as dry as possible?

In a way, this condition ends up in a vicious circle, because in summer you should have the best chances to treat it because of the open footwear but being so ashamed of it you sometimes try to hide it (which is actualy much worse).

I will surely will keep you posted on the progress.
Thanks a lot again,
I forgot to add, I have Hashimoto's. Does this disease aggravate fungus too?

Pls use cotton socks and change your socks frequently.Also avoid sharing socks with others.Yes Hashimoto’s thyroiditis can aggravate the nail fungal infection because in Hashimoto’s,the immune system is compromised and so the immune system is not able to fight off the infection very well

I hope that helps. Please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.