Does retinol thin the skin?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Does retinol thin the skin?

I recently began going for facials and my aesthetician told me to stop using my retinol products, as she said it ages and thins the skin. She recommends glycolic peels instead. This is contrary to everything I've heard. I thought retinol thickened the skin and stimulated collagen growth, and glycolic peels thinned the skin. Am I mistaken?
Both retinol and glycolic acids have their own pros and cons. Glycolic acid may induce redness, flaking or a burning sensation. In rare cases, and usually those involving the higher concentration chemical peels, it may cause inflammation, infection and skin discoloration. Retinol may cause a warming sensation, redness, itching and scaling of the skin.

Since glycolic acid is an alpha hydroxyl acid, it is better.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Avatar n tn
Dr. Kaur,
Thank you for your time. I think I probably didn't word my question clearly. Does retinol thin and age the skin?
Thanks again,
Cheryl