Dermatology Expert Forum
Dot sized red spots and burning

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Dot sized red spots and burning

Hello Doctor. I would like to start by giving you as much info. on what has been going on with me as possible. 4 months ago I delivered my second baby by c section. A week after I started experiencing numbness, tingling, & burning in extremeties.  I have seen numerous specialists about these problems.  I've had MRI's, blood work, no one can find any reason for me to have these symptoms.  The reason I'm writing to you is because along with all of this I have been experiencing skin changes. On my upper & lower arms I have small raised bumps.  These bumps burn at times. On my lower legs it looks as if the hair folicle is irritated and this area also turns red and burns.  I have been to two dermatologists and they both told me this could be caused by hormones after the pregnancy. I don't feel this is an adequate diagnosis.  I know that you can't diagnose me based on this description, I'm just hoping that you may some suggestions.  Something that you think may be causing these strange symptoms.  I would like to add that these symptoms are not constant.  I had a very bad occurence a month ago, and then again tonight, and that's why I'm writing.  My neuro. said that this could be caused by a virus of some sort, that's causing everything, the skin changes, tingling, & numbness in extremities.  Any suggestions would be very apprecitated.  Thank you. I would like to add that the dermatologists did not suggest any tests. Both took a look and said "Oh, thats common after birth".  This is my second child, and I did not have burning skin and these small red dots after the first child.  Can this be caused by something wrong with the liver or kidneys? I'm only searching, this has me so worried, and it is at times very painful.
I'm afraid I don;t have much to add.  The dermatologists did not suggest tests, no doubt because they couldn't think of any that would be illuminating.  Your description does not remind me of anything that could affect the liver and the kidneys.  In fact, I can;t think of any skin diseases that are associated with numbness and tingling in the extremities.

One thing that can cause all these symptoms is anxiety--this can produce a variety of nondescript symptoms, including worry over minor and unimportant skin changes.  This is obviously a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning you have to rule out all other diagnoses first.  I can't speak for your neurologists, but your dermatologists seem to have already done this, namely rule out other diseases.  One thing about skin: if you have something, you can generally see it.  Your neurologists don't sound too concerned either.  Maybe you should wait this out....

Best.

Dr. Rockoff