Dry, chapped, red skin on the sides of my scrotum and tip of my penis.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I' am just your regular average joe. Never had any real skin problems other than dry, chapped skin on my hands and arms when it's cold. But recently I felt a pain down "there" and saw my scrotum and the tip of my penis had become severly dry and capped, and painful accompanied with a mild itch. It seemed to just happen overnight. no sexual activity and I do work out and sweat but have always ben very hygenic with my southern region. Any help will be appreciated because it is very annoying.
It is difficult confirming a diagnosis without examination but it can be intertrigo. Please keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical zinc oxide cream like Sudocrem, Desitin are very helpful(apply with a paper towel and not directly with hands).Application of mild steroid cream like dermacort also helps. For the itching please take some over the counter antihistaminic like Benadryl or Claritin. In case the symptoms persist then antifungals may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

Hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.

Thank you for the response. I will go today and buy what I need. It actually has gotten better from just scubbing in the shower with soap and letting it dry. Maybe if you could tell me some causes as to how this happened overnight so that I can prevent it.
Intertrigo results from friction rub or chaffing of warm, moist skin in the folds of skin. So in future, wear cotton free flowing clothes and try to keep these areas as sweat free as possible. You can also use hypoallergenic talcum powders in future.
Hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing. Kind regards.