Dermatology Expert Forum
Dry, flaky, rough, red, sensitive, bumpy skin??
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Dry, flaky, rough, red, sensitive, bumpy skin??

My skin used to be normal and people would compliment me all the time. I am 26 year old female.  I would get some breakouts here and there but it was nothing major.  I used retin-a micro .04% for about 5 years and I would also use some 10-15% glycolic acid treatments during the day and sunblock.  My skin was normal during this time. On January 5, 2011 I got a rhinoplasty, facial fat grafting to my cheeks, and a Vi peel (7% TCA, 2% salicylic acid, 8% retinoic acid).  I was under anesthesia when the peel was performed.  I became crusty and brown and peeled quite a lot.  The skin peeled for about a week and then looked absolutely radiant.  After about a week of looking great, my skin turned freakishly dry.  It looked and felt like a reptile, like sandpaper. It just kept getting worse and worse until at about 8 weeks I went and saw a dermatologist.  She could not figure out what had gone wrong.  2 weeks later I started NuvaRing birth control and I got cystic acne within the 1st week.  So at about 8 weeks post my surgery and peel, I began using retin-a micro and glycolic acid again. Mind you, my skin was still reptile dry when I started back on my regular skin care regimen.  My face became really red, inflamed, sensitive, sunburned looking, and still breaking out worse than ever.  I continued the retin-a for about 1 month until I went to see another dermatologist who gave me DesOwen. I used it 2 a day for 1 week and my skin felt a little better, but not much.  My texture is rough and my skin feels hot.  I look like I have a sunburn all over my face.  It is really red and I have breakouts all over my chin and in the areas next to my nose and on my nose and forehead too. Not to mention, my skin is still dry and flaky.  Everyone keeps asking me if I have a sunburn (I never go in the sun).  My boyfriend says my skin looks really bumpy with large pores and little red bumps coming out of the pores.  He also noted that my skin was not like this before. What's going on? Help!