Dry, flaky white patches of skin on scrotum

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hi i am a 14 years old male and lately i have notice dry, white patches of skin on my scrotum. This started out about a week ago as discolored patches of skin that flakes off a little at the base of my scrotum. This seem to have spread to my upper scrotum and is now very dry flaky. The flaky do ich but not too intensely. The driest part just peels off exposing a some what sensitive patch of skin. When i tried to scratch it off 2 days ago, tiny blisters the size of rice pellets formed. They are fairly far apart. ( by blisters i mean the skin caves in just a little, no water blisters)

I have been using a body lotion to keep this area moist as other posts say to do so. So i have been thinking this may be eczema or a fungal infection. Should i try to apply 1% hydrocortisone? Should i peel off the dried up skin or should i continue applying the lotion.
From the symptoms it can be an eczematous reaction which is a sort of dermatitis due to an allergic reaction. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid.But they are available under prescription and should be taken only after consulting a dermatologist. Symptoms can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.
If the symptoms persist then get an evaluation done by a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

The white patches are slowly spreading and now most of my scrotum is covered in it. There is a very vivid line that seprates my skin color from my inner thigh to my scrotum but the white patches are not spreading on to my thigh. What can i do? Is it serious?