Dry, itchy, scaly fingers.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dry, itchy, scaly fingers.

Hello, first I'd like to thank you for providing such a useful service.
I am an 18 years old. When I was twelve I developed a skin condition on the sides of my middle finger and my ring finger. The skin is dry, scaly, and occasionally itchy with tiny blisters popping up every now and then.The skin lines are very pronounced and do not match up with the proper skin on the other side of the finger. When the skin gets particularly dry it will crack. This condition has spread over to my right hand earlier this year. I've used moisturizers of varying intensity, steroid based creams, and so-called natural creams but none of them have changed anything at all. I'd really like to find out and possibly get rid of this problem before it spreads over my whole hand!  
From the symptoms the possibility of pompholyx needs to be ruled out. The other possibility is of contact dermatitis. Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).But they are available under prescription and should be taken only after consulting a dermatologist. Symptoms  can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.