Dry, oily and flaky skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dry, oily and flaky skin

For the past couple of weeks, the skin on my forehead has been getting consistently itchier. I used a moisturizing cream when it got unbearable. For the past week, however, my face has been extremely oily and yesterday morning my whole face was flaking. I don't know how to go about treating my skin. I've had eczema outbreaks on my face before, but never anything like this mix of flake and oil concoction now brewing on my forehead. I rarely use cream on my face because of its sensitivity, when I do  its usually alcohol free (so as to not dry out my face even more).

If anyone has suggestions on how to go about this, please let me know and thank you very much for your time.
  • dry face (1 replies):
    I have always had dry skin on my face, it was just my T-...[more]
  • I look like rudolf (1 replies):
    I am 53 and for the last few months I have been breaking...[more]
  • dermatology (1 replies):
    hi i have this rash around my nose area,sometimes just a...[more]
  • skin issues (1 replies):
    i have two medium sized dry red patches under my eyes, h...[more]
  • Rash. (1 replies):
    Hi, I just noticed I have a rash on my foreead and by m...[more]
Your symptoms are suggestive of seborrheic dermatitis. It is usually caused by overgrowth of Malassezia furfur. This skin disease commonly affects adolescents and young adults, especially in warm and humid climates and is aggravated by sweating and humidity. It causes flaky, dry, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas esp. under the nose or anywhere on face.

Topical antifungals and mild steroids are the usual treatment and combination of the two can be used to treat stubborn patches. Oral antifungal drugs and immunomodulators such as tacrolimus and pimecrolimus are used in very severe cases. You can consult a dermatologist and get this treatment prescribed because it is not available without prescription.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.