Dry, scaly, white patches slowly spreading all-over my arms and legs. HELP!
Hi! I'm mika, 20 yrs. old, healthy, active and very clean. I've never had any problems with my skin despite prolonged exposure to the sun due to my love for outdoor activities. However, about 3 months ago, I started noticing a patch of skin near my elbows that looked lighter than my actual skin color. at times it was smooth, and then others it becomes really dry and scaly. Now, it has spread all-over my arms, legs and just yesterday, it showed around my buttocks too. it has gotten a lot worse because the color has gotten lighter, it's constantly dry and rough to touch. I also noticed that after showers or baths, the patches turn red, stingy and itchy and when i look at them closely, i can see numerous red dots as if the top layer of my skin has been scraped off.
I've been using aquaphor to relieve the dryness and antihistamine (because i thought it could be an allergy to something), but i don't see it getting any better. I cannot afford to see a doctor yet because i don't have health insurance, so any feedback to this post would be appreciated!! thanks!!
We need to rule out two possibilities from your symptoms  which can present with such hypopigmentation. Firstly,it can be due to tinea versicolor. Tinea versicolor is caused by a fungus that lives in the skin of almost all adults. Factors that can cause the fungus to become more visible include high humidity and immune or hormone abnormalities. Treatment involves topical and oral antifungal medicines.

Second possibility is of vitiligo. It is a pigmentation disorder in which melanocytes (the cells that make pigment) in the skin are destroyed. As a result, white patches appear on the skin in different parts of the body. Diagnosis can be confirmed by external examination, blood tests to check skin cell count  for melanocytes and biopsy of the skin patches.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

i have small white patches around my stomach and lower back..and sometimes its itchy..can somebody help me please...tahnks