DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
Dry,Cracking,Red Foreskin
by TexasJ, Nov 20, 2008
I am a 20 year old male. i have only been with 2 women in my life. so i doubt its an STD. i am uncircumcised and the other day i noticed my foreskin his dry and cracking. sometimes its hard to pull it back when i need to use the restroom. there in no burning feeling unless the skin cracks and there is no bleeding. does anyone have any clue as to why my foreskin did this. when i masturbate i do not use any kind of lube and since the skin started cracking and its hard for my foreskin to come back i havent been masturbating. i have noticed it healing some over teh past 2 days so im sure i'll be fine but i want more info about what could have caused this and what i can do in the future to prevent it.
Member Comments (6)
by BhumikaMD, Nov 20, 2008

This is a condition called balanitis.Balanitis is inflammation of the glans penis. Lack of aeration and irritation because of smegma and discharge surrounding the glans penis causes inflammation and edema.More common in uncircumcised males.

It  is usually caused by poor hygiene in uncircumcised men. The inflammation can be due to infection, harsh soaps, or failure to properly rinse soap off while bathing.
One common organism associated with balanitis is a yeast known as Candida albicans.  Balanitis may occur because of excessive growth of Candida, due to moisture and warmth under the foreskin.

It can be treated by applying Miconazole, an anti-fungal medication.Most cases of balanitis can be controlled with medicated creams and good hygiene.

Inflammation has many possible causes, including irritation by environmental substances, physical trauma, and infection by a wide variety of pathogens, including bacteria, virus, or fungus—each of which require a particular treatment.

Retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. Apply bacitracin (not Neosporin) for pediatric patients if bacterial infection is suspected.
Apply topical clotrimazole for adult men with probable candidal balanitis.

If the symptoms persist, you would need to consult your doctor.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.
by bombayslik, Mar 24, 2011
hi,
   i too have the same type of problem . my foreskin has become dry, red, and black. while masturbating it is very painful. i applied Vaseline total moisturizing  . It reduces the pain but when i look at it. it looks torn and red
PLEASE HELP.....
by bombayslik, Mar 24, 2011
hi,
PLEASE HELP.....
by lee121083, Apr 29, 2012
Hi, I was hoping for other possible causes because I get the same symptoms however I clean thoroughly everyday and do wash of all soap from the area (with foreskin pulled back). I find that I only experience the condition over the colder months. I had re-occurring symptoms last winter, it went away over summer and I have just had the dryness, redness, cracking and itching on the tip of the foreskin over the last day, incidentally when the weather has gotten cold again.
Any ideas as to what this is?
by iemaj4200, Oct 02, 2013
I get this from time to time. You can use Miconazole or apply antiseptic cream. My doctor gave me tablets with the same active ingredient at one stage. They are normally prescribed for women.

I also wore a condom with a small amount of antiseptic cream in it. This cleared it up quickly.

I find that masturbating too hard and too often can bring this on. I also find that masturbating while wearing a condom with a small amount of water based lube in it will avoid this happening.
by trey89, Jun 29, 2014
I also have this problem. Recently my wife and I were having sex. After having sex i noticed the next day my penis Foreskin was swallon. The swallan lasted about a day. When it finally settle down, I noticed my foreskin being extra dry. I used a recommended oil (bio oil) for my dryness. This day my foreskin has gotten tighter which cause me to not be able to pull my skin back because it hurts and burn and im afraid it might crack. This issue happens pretty often. And it leaves me no choice but to not have sex for about a week....... please someone help explain this.....