Dry Flakey Skin On Outer Bottom Lip
Hello there,

Over the last 2 and a half years I have been dealing with this ongoing problem. The skin on my bottom lip becomes dry and will peel off in sheets. Its only my bottom lip, and only in the area that is exposed to the elements. By that i mean if you were to close your mouth, the part of your bottom lip that you can still see. The skin on my lip is dry and flakey, i can peel it off in sheets up to the size of raisin, and usually the same spot multiple times a day.

I have tried dozens of different moisturizers, from Aquaphor, to Burts Bees Lip Balm. All they seem to do is make it easier for this skin to peel off. I have tried buying Vitamin E capsules, and breaking them open and apply directly on the area. I have been taking daily multivitamins. I have also tried changing my tooth paste. All with no change. I just cant seem to figure this out. You would think what ever it is it would affect or spread to my upper lip. But i have never had any issues with the upper lip. Any suggestions?
Any suggestions?
This could be eczema, allergy or just dry skin. The form of eczema that affects the lips is known as cheilitis. This causes roughness to the lips and can make them very sensitive, causing them to itch.

These rough patches are not normally located inside the mouth, normally they are located where the lip joins onto the normal skin of the face. The swollen lips sometimes will be associated with red patches and dryness of other parts of skin.

The affected areas should be moisturized on a frequent basis with Vaseline or Lip balms containing shea butter.
A mild steroid ointment formulated for use on lips and face like Desonide can be applied on the problematic spot.

Chapped lips  can be caused by a number of factors, such as being for a long time in a dry and cold environment, eating very salty dishes, vitamin deficiencies etc.
These are all reversible conditions which when taken care of should improve the condition of your lower lip.

Ref:http://ezinearticles.com/?Eczema-Can-Cause-Your-Lips-To-Swell&id=550170
Ref:http://allwomenstalk.com/5-quick-steps-to-soothe-chapped-lips/
9/21/2008
I have the same problem tried everything nothing works.
I noticed that since the furnace has been turning on at night my lip thing has started up again.
I have had the same thing for over 6 months, I have no idea what it is or how to get rid of it. I am constantly biting at it and making it worse. I have heard actinic chelitis or fungal infection may have something to do with it, i tried moisturizing with everything and it doesn't help. I have tried antifungals to no avail. Someone on another thread used a steriod cream called fubicet once a week for a few months and supposedly it went away and has been gone for five months now. Others used neosporin. Sometimes it seems better for a few days but always returns. It usually looks like an indent in the lip and always feels dry and flaky, so annoying! I will make an appt with my Dr as I am out of ideas on my own.
hi
did u ever manage to sort your lip out? i have had the same problem for over 18 months, doctors and professionals don't know what it is, and i have to just live with the constant itch 24/7. any help would be gr8. x