Dry Rash On Fingers

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dry Rash On Fingers

I have has some kind of what I think is a rash on my left hand for quite some time.  It began on my index finger and it is a combination of VERY dry, irritated flakey skin and almost resembles a chemical burn, as it heals it causes cracking, itching and burning.  Just as it appears to be healed, it spreads to the next finger.  It leaves a kind of scarring on the previous finger that almost looks like skin that has pruned.  It stays on my left hand and just moves from finger to finger.  I thought it was caused by cleaning products but I have changed to natural brands.  I asked my doctor who just said it was an "infection" and to treat it with an antibiotcial ointment..it's not helping.  Water makes it worse.  Wierd huh?  Any ideas?