Dry Red Itchy Spots

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dry Red Itchy Spots

I have dry red itchy spots on my inner arms. I rarely get them on other parts of my body. They come and go. They can get really itchy, but I try not to scratch them, because if I do, I can feel my whole arm skin throb with pain. It can keep me up at night for sure.
I've tried using lotion, but I think the fragranted lotion I have makes it worse/doesn't help. So I've been using an unscented lotion (Suave Moisturizing lotion with Vitamin E) and that seemed to be helping, but it doesn't work well enough. I know I don't drink enough water, but since realizing that, I've been trying to.

Are there some home remedies I could try?
Is it a possibility that I'm allergic to something that keeps making it flare up?

I'd really like the red dry itchy spots to go away. Please help!
It can be due to nummular dermatitis. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).But they are available under prescription and should be taken only after consulting a dermatologist. Symptoms  can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.