Dermatology Community
Dry Red Rash- Allergies?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dry Red Rash- Allergies?

During the winter time, my chin and other areas near my mouth have been quite dry and flaky with these pink patches. I've tried Vaseline and helped a bit, although I have to reapply every so often. Now it's spring, and those patches have gotten worse (it's very itchy, more dry, and peeling, flaky, red/pink/brown coloring and some discoloration ). I've experienced it before when I went over to a friend's house early spring and she has 9 cats. I itched like crazy near my mouth! I've taken a few pills for the itching to stop, and the itch is not bothersome anymore. I'm not sure if it's allergies from cats or the weather. My younger brother is allergic to cats as well. My father also has these symptoms but there not as bad as mine. My father also has psoriasis (back, eye, neck) and so do I (near arm).
Help, thanks!!
Related Discussions
Hi,

You have a significant history of allergies. What you have may be an allergic reaction or a perioral dermatitis. I suggest that you avoid applying several topical creams or lotion at a time .This may only aggravate the condition. Try to observe any known triggers. Cold weather, animal hair, certain clothing materials, a new brand of cosmetics and toothpaste may be the triggers.

Applying a vitamin E cream over the area to moisturize it may help. Have this assessed by your physician. You may need oral medications like antihistamines for this. Also, applying some topical corticosteroids during flare ups may help.

Have this evaluated by your physician. A strong family history of atopy or allergy suggests that you be assessed along this line.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank