Dermatology Expert Forum
Dry Scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Dry Scalp

Symptom: The forehead area closer to the hair has patches of dry scalp that sheds when the area is rubbed. I'm not sure if its a dandruff problem or something else. Right now there are two major red patches: one on the right and the other on the left in front. I have tried using anti-dandruff shampoo but it doesn't seem to work, at least not yet. The dryness is scaly and is located both in areas of hair growth and upper portions of the forehead. Occasionally it is also itchy. Please advice. Thank you.
Theodore:

What you describe sounds like seborrhea/psoriasis (the name doesn't matter much.)  The "dandruff shampoos" are only of limited effectiveness, though worth a try.  You might add an OTC hydrocortisone (something lotiony, so it's easy to apply.)  If not, a prescription hydrocortisone lotion might help.

Seborrhea for some reason almost always stops at the hairline, so the more hair you lose, the less soborrhea you have.

See--every cloud does have a silver lining . . .

Best.

Dr. R
I have a terrible itch in my scalp.  I wash my hair twice a week because i think its dry scalp.  I scratch it so much that I get scabs in my scalp.  I feel this strong tingling when I get the need to scratch.  Please advise.   Thank You.
Marilyn:

At the drugstore, pick up some pramoxine gel (over-the-counter) and apply it every couple of hours to all the itchy spots.  1$ hydrocortisone twice a day should help too.

Dr. R

My scalp is very itchy and dry. There is no evidence of dandruff. What could you suggest?
Lolo:

Start with any OTC dfandruff shampoo containing tar or zinc.  Also, you can try some of the suggestions I made to previous writers.

Best.

Dr. R
I have very dry/scaly scalp especially at the "side-burn" area of my head.  I can get dry patches throughout, but it seems that this area is a consistent sensitive area.  I have been using a lotion called Elocom in combination with Nizoral shampoo -- it doesn't seem to be clearly up the affect area effectively.  Any suggestions?
I'm an african american with short, dry, hair with dry flaky scalp. My scalp is flaky on the left side and front hair line
above my forehead.  when the scalp is scratched with a comb, it appears the flakes are actually scabs. If scratched too hard the area bleeds. In the past, I had used head and shoulders but it worked temporarily. I have used moisturizers marketed as moisurizers for african american males and have had some success when I use it and wrap my head.  Short of growing dreadlocks, what do you recommend I do....?
Dear Sir/Madam

My name is Adiba Hussain and I am a final year studesnt at the University of Huddersfield.  For my final year project I am investigating the effectiveness of the anti-dandruff shampoos on market.  In order for me to do this I need detailed backgorund information on the causes dehind dnadruff and when treated with the shapoos which of the ingrediants actaully work and are there enough of the active ingredient there for he dandruff to disappear.  I would be very grateful if you coulf forward any information that may be of use to me.

Thankyou very much for your time

Yours faithfully

Adiba Hussain
(e.mail: ***@****)
I took a test for my heart one day and I noticed that after removing the gelly which they use for contact of elctrodes gave me some kind of itching on my breast. After some days this itching spread to groins and the base of penis and the occipital region and the underarms region. The nature of itching is so intense and gives me lots of pleasure. Some times it is so sever that I have to apply ice to stop it. I feel that my heart would stop after such an incidence. Acupuncture has given me a good relief but it is still there. What is this? It is present only where there is hair. Tablets Allegra also give relief from itching. Steroids increase the itching.
Please advice
My scalp is often dry and flaky, I've tried tea tree by Paul Mitchell which was highly recommeded by all my hair dressers but did not do the job. What do you recommend for my scalp and why does it flake so much? Please advise. thanks
About a couple of weeks ago I started noticing flakes in may hair and itching on the sides, the top and at the hairline. Then I starten to notice that my scalp was getting very dry and flakey.  One more thing is that also as this happened i feel like I am loosing more hair at the hair line.  Could this happen from using an alcohol based hair gel?  What can I do?
My daughter has areas on her scalp where she has crustations. When the crustations are lived or raised with a comb the entire area of hair comes out. She now has an area of baldness where the entire piece of hair came out with the crustation attached. i ahve been applying baby oil to lossen the areas so they will come out easier qwithout losing her hair. Is there any medical problem she could have causing this and how can I make it stop. She is only 41/2 years old and these areas or dry scaley build up are awful to look at and also sad to see the hair coming out in such large quzntities. any help would be sooo appreciated.
How come our inquires and/or questions since January 2000 have not been addressed yet?
My son has a black growth on his scalp that flakes, itches and at times bleeds.  He has been to dermatologists, but has not had relief -- he has no medical insurance, so it isn't feasible to keep trying new doctors.  Any help in over the counter drugs.
My mom slept with conditioner in her hair for dry hair after coloring her hair the day before and woke up with painful burning in her scalp. She washed her hair and subsequently was left with severe flakes in her head. Any treatments for the scalp and the dry hair? Thank you.
A related discussion, Hair loss and scalp itching was started.
A related discussion, help was started.
A related discussion, Itchy Scalp was started.
For about a year my scalp has been very itchy and when I scratch it large flakes come out. I have tried all kinds of anti itch and dandruff products but it doesn't seem to get better. I've even tried seborrheic dermatitis shampoo but no result... any suggestions please.... desperate to kno